X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailhog
    • Apr 2009

Okay gentlemen.... I have a question for you.... Guess whose A-4 engine started today? Here are a couple of clues: The sailor's name begins with a "S" and the last syllable of that name rhymes with "dog."

I don't have time at the moment to post the blow-by-blow... but I will later this evening. However, I do have time to thank everyone on this wonderful forum.

Thank you.

I'll be back....

Comment

• roadnsky
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by sailhog View Post
      I'll be back....
      I have a feeling this will be a good one...
      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
      sigpic
      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

me too, but the good news, it is apparently running...the story is just gravy!
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• jpian0923
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2010

I just want to know who gets to date his wife!
          "Jim"
          S/V "Ahoi"
          1967 Islander 29
          Harbor Island, San Diego
          2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• Dave Neptune
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Jan 2007

Running?

I'm all ears! I'll check back in today a bit for the story.
            I am heading out of town so to speak for a raft up this weekend in Newport Bay. We're doing a wagon wheel and were hoping to set a US record. We already hold the west coat record but now the weather is deteriating so many may back out. I'm hoping the H/M & H/P still let us tie up together. Last year we had 46 boats power and sail, this year we are hoping for 70+ for the record and have 100+ say they will be there. With the weather turning we are getting a few cancelations.

Fair winds _/) _/)
            Dave Neptune

Comment

• smaarch
              • Jul 2008

glad you solved your problem
              I'll just add for anyone else encountering fuel problems. after going thruogh very much the same frustrating exercise of replacing everything all the way back to the tank.
              clogged fuel lines
              blown fuel pump(s)
              the biggest problem was a tank filled with sediment

Comment

• roadnsky
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2008

We seem to have lost sailhog for the moment. (Too much Guiness?)
                BUT my guess is that this had something to do with the distributor.
                Any other guesses?
                -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                sigpic
                1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• sailhog
                  • Apr 2009

Sorry for the delay, gentlemen....

My daughter ran into a mailbox on her bike, requiring a trip to the doctor. No major injuries, but the Neosporin is everywhere...

Unfortunately this story isn't over. This morning I tried to start her, and with some difficulty she got going. This is in marked contrast to the last when I had her running the day before yesterday. I would turn her off, and she would start without any trouble whatsoever. Once I got her going this morning, she seemed to run rough... something seemed to be up.

I turned her off, tried to turn her on again, and she wouldn't go. I tried three or four more times... then did a compression check: 80; 70; 100; 65. She was getting spark, which left fuel. When I check the throat of the carb, a big ol' pile of water, rust, MMO, and fuel came pouring out. That's right: I had forgotten to close the raw water seacock.

I went to the manual: popped the sparks, turned her over until all the evidence of water was gone. When I put her back together, she still wouldn't start, and when I pulled a plug, there was still water on it. I did this routine about three times without success, and finally popped the manifold. Water came pouring out every which way.

Right now I have the manifold off so as to allow her to dry out. I have the sparks out with a paper towel over the holes in order to keep condensation out.

Argh.

Looking back, it seemed that when she was running this morning, the water may have been exiting the transom a little less vigorously. I recall seeing all sorts of monkey crap coming out of her when I first started her up, as I'd had popped the head and cleaned out the water ports -- and there was plenty to clean out.

I'm wondering if there could be a clog in the exhaust somewhere downstream of the manifold.... If so, any ideas as to how to locate and then clear it?

This thing is wearing me down.... She was running SO well. Anyway, I think that once she's dried out, all should be well...

I promise I'll tell you the whole tale once you guys solve each and every one of my problems.... but not until then!

Thanks again, gentlemen....

Comment

• jhwelch
                    • Dec 2005

Did you install two fresh gaskets after taking the head off? Sounds like you might have a leak in that area.

Comment

• ndutton
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

What got her running Wednesday?
                      Neil
                      1977 Catalina 30
                      San Pedro, California
                      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• sailhog
                        • Apr 2009

I installed two new head gaskets, and I've got adequate compression. I'm pretty sure the water came in via the exhaust system.

Comment

• sailhog
                          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                          What got her running Wednesday?
                          Neil, I can't tell you until AFTER she's up and running again....

Well, okay.... there was some residual water in the cylinders and that's what kept her from firing. Dave Neptune called it. I dried her out by getting her to run for a few seconds, then popping the plugs to let the steam escape. I did this about seven or eight times....

I've got a long tale to tell.... I just need time to sit down and do it....

Thanks for everything....

Comment

• ndutton
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

Thanks.

You teased us Wednesday then left us hanging for two days. Looked like you were gonna do that again. I don't think I could take another two days!
                            Neil
                            1977 Catalina 30
                            San Pedro, California

Comment

• Blue Eyes
                              • Jun 2010

Squeegie bulb

I seek information re the role of the above, the cost and the supplier.
                              aloha

Comment

• ndutton
                                Afourian MVP
                                • May 2009

Hate to use these guys as a source but sometimes convenience trumps cost.

They have a variety of sizes, the one referenced is 1/4".

It's used to move fuel through the system independent of the pump, many times a diagnostic tool around here.
                                Neil
                                1977 Catalina 30
                                San Pedro, California

Comment

Working...
                                X