View Single Post
  #31   IP: 161.213.49.1
Old 03-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

[QUOTE=sailhog;34477]
I also check the spark at each plug as per Dave Neptune's directions, and they all appeared to have fire. While check #3, I felt a nice jolt of 12 volt running through the head.

What you felt on the spark plug wire was more than 12 volts! Electricity outside the wire leads me to believe the spark plug wires are defective. To test: Start the engine at night in the dark and look for shorting to ground (the engine). You will know it when you see it. Sometimes you can hear kind of a snap as the wire(s) short out. This can get a little trickey because when you move the spark plug wire away from the engine to test it may not short to the engine because it is lifted away only to short out when it is close to the engine in its normal working position.

Is the inside of the distributor cap clean?

One last potential clue.... After trying and failing to get her started, she sometimes makes a strange racket -- like a clicking -- while the starter is attempting to turn her over. She doesn't make this noise at the beginning of the attempt, only at the end -- after about ten seconds of cranking....

The clicking you hear may be the starter as the battery runs down while you crank. Try shorter bursts on the starter and give the battery more time to recover.

Hope this helps. Your engine wants to run - it just doesn't know it yet.

TRUE GRIT