View Single Post
  #42   IP: 138.207.177.95
Old 04-28-2022, 08:21 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sastanley View Post
Ed, what is the normal voltage of each cell? I've seen some 100Ah 'lithium' batteries popping up on web advertisements that look like normal 12v batteries, like Dakota and Renogy, and I think are designed as 'drop in', from a form factor anyway, replacements for 12v lead acid. But I doubt that is the case. Trying to begin getting educated on the subject.
*There is no such thing* as "drop in" lithium batteries no matter what the ad says. The lithium batteries do work in 12 volt systems, so in a sense you could just install them and see what happens. The most likely result of that would be ruined batteries, a burned up alternator, or both. They have some unique issues you need to deal with for a successful installation. I'll post my idea for a lower budget install soon, but the first thing to remember is the BMS (battery management system) does NOT actually manage the batteries the way you might think it does. It takes care of cell balancing, but other than that the charge and discharge disconnects are emergency last-ditch ways to save the battery. It does not do anything like manage charging voltages for a correct charge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joe_db For This Useful Post:
edwardc (04-29-2022), sastanley (04-30-2022)