View Single Post
  #30   IP: 69.250.111.245
Old 04-19-2022, 10:36 AM
Afourian MVP

Fred, Welcome. I have a project motor that was rebuilt by Moyer with that same oil extraction tube just aft of the carb. It has a copper tube in the oil pan and then the same fittings on the outside where the hose clamp is. I did not attempt to use this on my motor, as I have one of those manual suction pumps that I stick into the dipstick tube. Some folks try small drill driven impeller pumps for oil extraction, etc., that might attach to your hose.

Oil quantity..you might get 3 - 3.5 quarts out of it, but a small amount is always left because the engine is not level. 1 gallon of oil should be plenty...and use the dipstick level to get it right on refill. For the first change, any 10w-30 10w-40 will do..If the condition/age of oil is unknown, I might plan another oil change after several hours to help flush out the crankcase...don't waste expensive oil on this process.

That Sierra filter in your pic is probably an inline fuel filter..that is more important to be filtering properly and clean and replaced than almost anything else IMO. One of Tim's question marks is the 'water seperator' on the mechanical fuel pump. I am personally a fan and still run a mech fuel pump for simplicity. There is a thumb screw (~3/4" diameter??) underneath the cup that loosens the bail and should allow you to remove that cup..that was Universal's answer to a fuel filter/water separator....the theory being that any water would stay in the bottom of the cup and fuel will skim over the top. Hopefully the Sierra catches the majority and you will find the metal cup/bowl full of fuel..it has a cork or rubber gasket to seal it, and some of them have a brass screen in the top flange for filtering debris. I would remove and clean this out, and reinstall...the little 'V' shaped bale on the other half of the pump should pull fuel from the tank and refill the bowl if you get the cup re-seated correctly.

I have attached a picture of a disassembled fuel pump I rebuilt many years ago..you can see the crusty screen and rubber gasket on the right half after I removed the cup...and the little thumb screw retainer slid to right. The v shape bale pointing at you is the primer which actuates the pump when it is assembled on the motor and will prime the pump/carb..when installed, the pump is actuated by a ~1" long stud riding on the camshaft.

Keep asking Q's...a lot of us started here with an A-4 as our first inboard, so I can guarantee I knew ZERO about them before I found the Moyer forum.
Attached Images

"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif

Last edited by sastanley; 04-19-2022 at 10:45 AM. Reason: fixing typos
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sastanley For This Useful Post:
Fred1diver (04-19-2022), TimBSmith (04-19-2022)