View Single Post
  #2   IP: 138.207.177.95
Old 04-14-2022, 11:49 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SbMolly View Post
I wish I took a pic to better show my current exhaust , but I imagine it’s a fairly typical setup - black iron pipe attached to a flange on the manifold, goes straight up 12 inches or so, curves back down 180 degrees, drops a few inches before attachment point for cooling water, and then large ( 2 5/8” I believe) exhaust hose off to the muffler.

The iron is in pretty rough shape - rusting away to the point that big chunks are flaking off. So I need to get this taken care of. Seems like it would be easy enough to build with off the shelf Home Depot parts - but not sure on the flange which connect to the manifold. Moyer sells a flange for $70, do I start with that, and then just buy the pipe I need? How do I seal the threads? Is it really necessary to wrap the exhaust? The old stuff is coming off all over the motor, would rather not replace.

Has anyone built, or purchased, an exhaust who can give me some pointers? Thanks.
I have probably made 4 or 5 of them by now. You buy the flange from Moyer and the rest at the local plumbing place or McMaster. Get black iron, NOT galvanized! The zinc gives off nasty fumes when hot for some time and the fumes will make you sick.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joe_db For This Useful Post:
SbMolly (04-14-2022), TimBSmith (04-14-2022)