View Single Post
  #66   IP: 173.166.26.242
Old 11-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Afourian MVP

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
The intermittent nature of the water intrusion has me scratching my head. Changing out the H2O pump appeared to cure the problem only to have it reappear a few months later.
Maybe there is a pinhole leak in a cylinder that was blocked in the pressure test. Perhaps by a piston ring? So repeat the pressure test with #1 at the top of its travel (compression or exhaust) then repeat the test with #1 at the bottom of its travel.
I've never torn an A4 down (and hope I never have to) so I'm really talking through my hat here.......
This advice and $5.00 will get you a small coffee at Starbucks (where have I heard that before?)
BTW: Did you retorque the manifold?

TRUE GRIT
Au contraire - your post makes a helluva lot of sense. I too am not convinced the block is sound. The manifold would indeed pass a pressure test even if leakage were occuring from that stud. Breaches in cylinder sleeves almost always develop low in the cylinder's travel and may not be detected until an engine is torn down (remember Ebben?). I concur with John; test the block again and while the pressure is on rotate the engine.