X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry in Maine
    • Dec 2018

Instruments

My Sabre 28 has the following gauges: Water temp, oil pressure, fuel, and ammeter. I want to add a tachometer and eliminate one of the existing gauges so I don't have to drill another hole. I also have a battery monitor for my solar panel that gives me data about the status of the batteries. So I was thinking that the ammeter is redundant and should be the one to eliminate. What do you think?
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Drop the ammeter. The ammeter is a long wire run in many boats causing a voltage drop in the line, many have replaced with a volt meter.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

Larry, Agree with Dave on the ammeter delete. In the 70's they thought it was a good idea..the problem is the ENTIRE charging circuit is going from the alternator to the ammeter and then (likely) to the 1-2-ALL switch. That is a long run. I deleted the ammeter which allowed me to run the alternator output directly to the 1-2-ALL switch and put in a voltmeter..if I see 13+ volts on that meter I at least know the alt. is working. These days if you want an ammeter, I'd recommend a shunt style ammeter somewhere else.
      I noticed you wanted to add a tach. I'd still recommend a volt instead of ammeter, but maybe I'd relocate the fuel gauge somewhere else too, so I could add a tach..maybe put the fuel gauge downstairs on a bulkhead somewhere..You don't really need that right up there in primary real estate. I don't even have a fuel gauge..I lift a cushion and do a visual check thru my poly tank.
      Last edited by sastanley; 02-20-2021, 08:19 PM.
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• roadnsky
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2008

As Shawn said, you don't need your Tach in your main gauge cluster.
        (I put mine in a side coaming where an old depth gauge used to be)
        You really just need to see it once in a while to set engine speed.

Also agree with Shawn to replace that Ammeter with a Volt meter.
        Attached Files
        -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
        sigpic
        1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• SeaHarlequin
          • Nov 2019

Nice Lookin' Panel

That Engine Warning System panel looks nifty. Is that something one can buy?

I have a Ranger 29 and the instrumentation on there is nowhere as nice looking. I'm looking for some ideas for upgrades. Thanks!

Comment

• Hawkeye54
            • Mar 2017

Sea Harlequin - Browse thru our hosts online catalogue - it is there
            ( KTAS_01_564 )

Rick
            Last edited by Hawkeye54; 02-24-2021, 11:53 PM. Reason: Added part number information

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by SeaHarlequin View Post
              That Engine Warning System panel looks nifty. Is that something one can buy?

I have a Ranger 29 and the instrumentation on there is nowhere as nice looking. I'm looking for some ideas for upgrades. Thanks!
              SH, Jerry's stuff is always a step up from everyone else's. That EWDS panel would be a fabulous upgrade for anyone with A-4. I have it one my wishlist when I have a couple boat $$ to burn.
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X