View Single Post
  #1   IP: 73.69.173.27
Old 12-05-2020, 02:47 PM

Exhaust hose bad or not?

The flexible exhaust hose from the waterlift muffler to the transom on my Pearson 35 (18' long!) shows small cracks all over, and has been pretty much like that since we've owned the boat (12 years). No evidence of exhaust fumes in the cabin or lockers until the exhaust hot section water injection area failed in September. The CO detector only went off when that happened. But while I'm redoing that (in SS this time!) I've been thinking about whether to replace that hose too at ~$350 or so. If it's not really bad and the cracks are only cosmetic, in the outer layer, then I'd rather not of course. Any ideas how to tell? I may leave it 'till the coming season, and cover a section of it with clear plastic and see what builds up there after some engine running time if there's no other way.

I'm also wondering about using the MMI hot wrap on the new 316 stainless steel hot section given its known ability to corrode just like iron when it doesn't have free access to oxygen. Some other threads here implied some issue with this. Looks like I'd have to cobble up a heat shield out of stainless sheet otherwise, not a lot of fun either.