Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Good Guys (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Atomic 4 Mechanic? (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10448)

SimBen 10-04-2017 04:20 PM

Atomic 4 Mechanic?

Looking for a mechanic in the Marina del Rey area - for a universal Atomic 4 - on a Catalina 30 1983.
any leads?
thanks!

sastanley 10-05-2017 12:47 PM

SimBen,
Welcome! As mentioned in the other thread, I would start posting up some of your issues right here and we'll see what we can do to help!

SimBen 10-05-2017 01:47 PM

Engine not starting up:
originally I think I had a weak battery - then replaced it, but Im afraid I have tried to crank it too many times, and I had not shut off the through-hull water valve, and perhaps it is flooded? or the carburetor is faulty?
I am no engine expert - so I think I need a mechanic to take a look at it.
any Marina Del Rey (Los angeles CA) leads?
thanks!

Dave Neptune 10-05-2017 01:57 PM

SimBen, you may find a mechanic to come down and tell you the engine is toast:eek: and you will need a new diesel or electric drive.

My best advise is to do a couple of check just to avoid disaster!!!!

Check the oil dipstick to see if the oil is still clear (free of water) and that the engine will turn over AFTER you shut off the water intake.

Popping out the spark plugs and seeing if they are wet from water in the cylinders. Once the plugs are out you can take an old towel and place it on top of the engine to cover the plug holes. Then open the throttle all the way with no choke on and give her a spin. The pistons will pump out anything inside enough to let you and us know what to start to look for.

The last mechanic I knew was in San Pedro at RS Marine~not sure they're still in business though. May be worth a call.

Post a couple pics of things too if you can:rolleyes:.

Dave Neptune :cool:

sastanley 10-05-2017 11:06 PM

SimBen, It is imperative that you keep the engine spinning...any water in the crankcase or cylinders will rust in short order...this happened to my boat by the PO more than once.

Follow Dave's advice..he is the expert on freeing up frozen motors and we'll go from there!

Waiting on a mechanic at $xx/hour right now is useless in my opinion, and is wasting precious time to salvage the engine.

CamaroMan 10-30-2017 09:55 PM

Hi - when last did it run? I do part time work on boats and such. I could give u a hand if u wd like. Pm me for more info -

If the motor is truly stuck yes spray some wd40 down each spark plug hole for the time being - its the valves getting stuck thats usually more of an issue!

Hope u sort it out otherwise - :)