Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Exhaust System (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Tinkering with the exhaust system (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12141)

ndutton 02-02-2022 09:08 AM

Tinkering with the exhaust system

1 Attachment(s)
Last year I installed an automatic waterlift drain. With the marginal hot section rise on a Catalina 30 it's one more level of protection against water incursion through the exhaust. Every time the engine is turned off the residual water in the waterlift drains into the bilge. After the drain period expires the drain valve closes.

The drain valve is closed when the ignition circuit is on, open for five minutes after the ignition is switched off, closed following that period and as a fail-safe, closed when power is removed.

GregH 02-02-2022 10:27 AM

Very interesting!

Is that a kit or a la carte items you put together?

ndutton 02-02-2022 03:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
a la carte

The attached drawing includes component info.
Edit: the wire colors on the drawing correspond to the wire colors on the components.

ndutton 02-03-2022 10:18 AM

Without prior experience, programming the delay timer will be a challenge. There are over 33 timing sequences to choose from and a seemingly infinite range of delays, all selected by shorting the programming leads in a sequence or pushing either or both buttons on a programming circuit board which is not included in the purchase. After the considerable learning curve it's not that big of a deal but it's a steep curve getting there.

This may be a choose your battles moment. I can help because I've been through it. An option is to send me your timer (fits in an envelope) and I'll program it. Takes me maybe 10 minutes. I'll confess the first time took over an hour.

sastanley 02-04-2022 10:34 AM

Neil, if you had one of those crappy Vetus waterlifts like I do, the plastic drain cap in the bottom of the muffler leaks all by itself, right into the bilge. :D :rolleyes:

ndutton 02-04-2022 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sastanley (Post 127809)
Neil, if you had one of those crappy Vetus waterlifts like I do, the plastic drain cap in the bottom of the muffler leaks all by itself, right into the bilge. :D :rolleyes:

Yeah Shawn, can't help you with that.

ejay 01-17-2023 12:21 PM

Neil, my C30 had a system of drainage just like yours, but I found that dumping water mixed with exhaust gases into the bilge, where it would sit for lengthy periods of time was not optimal. A previous owner installed the system so I don't know how many years it has been in place, but I wonder if the constant salt water bathing the keel bolts has contributed to some of the surface rust there. Also, the smell from the exhaust fouled water just underneath the salon is bothersome to my wife, which negatively impacts our weekend getaways on the boat.

Would it be possible to install a small water pump to move the exhaust water from the muffler to a drain somewhere when shutting off the engine? Is the temperature of the water from the muffler suitable for normal drain tubing?

ndutton 01-17-2023 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have not noticed an exhaust-y odor in the boat since the installation of the drain system. However, I'd be interested in the details of yours to see if there's a difference from mine. But remember, I'm not convinced such a drain is necessary. There's only a quart of residual water in the muffler after shutdown. It's just not significant.

Here's a picture of my vent hose where it attaches to the galley sink drain plumbing:

ejay 01-17-2023 01:35 PM

I agree that the small amount of water in the muffler is probably not the source of my engine issues.

We do have an petroleum like odor problem in the boat, which I have blamed on the exhaust water, but I am not sure now.

ndutton 01-17-2023 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejay (Post 129540)
We do have an petroleum like odor problem in the boat, which I have blamed on the exhaust water, but I am not sure now.

More likely it's from crankcase blowby. In the course of sorting out your engine issues we will certainly recommend a precise timing exercise which has a significant effect on blowby. If odor continues to be a nuisance you may be a candidate for the Indigo Electronics PCV system. On my boat it would be a last resort to stave off rebuilding.