Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wanted to Buy - Engines and Engine Parts (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   wanted running Atomic 4 (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791)

Larry 06-09-2006 12:03 AM

wanted running Atomic 4

I am looking for a running Atomic 4. We have a tartan 1978 tartan 30 with a dead engine! We were taking our annual Fall trip up the CT river from Old Lyme to Portland when pulling into the slip. I put the boat in reverse to slow the boat down, when the engine made a terrable noise then shut down! I tried to start the engine again but no luck I removed all 4 plugs and all 4 were full of water!!!!! I do believe the engine suffered a catastrophic failure. I now am looking for a running A 4 to replace the dead one. Please help!!!!

Larry

Don Moyer 06-09-2006 03:42 PM

Larry,

Have you considered that you may have simply over-cranked your engine while attempting to start it? I realize that while this would account for the water in the cylinders, it wouldn't explain the noise. However, if you could clear up the water and get the engine started, you may find that whatever caused the noise isn't as big a deal as you now think (something around the prop?).

Don

Ethan Elgersma 07-19-2006 12:03 AM

Have an atomic 4 ready to go

I have an atomic 4 engine I pulled out a 1963 Pearson Triton 28' sloop. It's only been used a few times by the previous owner and is in excellent shape. However, I'm replacing it with an outboard as I don't need that big of an engine anymore, so let me know if you're interested still and I'll send you pictures and more details.

Sincerely,
Ethan Elgersma
bandofbrothers79@yahoo.com

ken drewry 10-15-2006 03:12 PM

My engine will appear on E-Bay starting Wedesday Oct. 18 2006. My fresh water cooled Atomic 4 in excellent condition has been replaced by a larger Diesel. Not enough power for my C&C 35 MarkII.Listing- Atomic 4 30HP Direct Connected Fresh Water Cooled Engine. Check it out.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry (Post 2370)
I am looking for a running Atomic 4. We have a tartan 1978 tartan 30 with a dead engine! We were taking our annual Fall trip up the CT river from Old Lyme to Portland when pulling into the slip. I put the boat in reverse to slow the boat down, when the engine made a terrable noise then shut down! I tried to start the engine again but no luck I removed all 4 plugs and all 4 were full of water!!!!! I do believe the engine suffered a catastrophic failure. I now am looking for a running A 4 to replace the dead one. Please help!!!!

Larry