Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ignition System (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How To Remove Rusted Distributor Flywheel Mechanism (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11828)

SeaHarlequin 03-08-2021 11:13 PM

How To Remove Rusted Distributor Flywheel Mechanism

1 Attachment(s)
Hi - I have a late model engine and pulled the distributor system for a good cleaning. I've disassembled most of it -- I've gotten the stem (that holds the felt), springs, and first level of the flywheel mechanism off.

I can't seem to get the lowest portion off the shaft. Am I making a mistake in trying to get it fully disassembled, is it just rusted on, or am I missing a step in removing it?

Thank for any advice you may be able to share.

Surcouf 03-09-2021 06:16 AM

As far as I remember, it cannot be dissassembled from the top: you would have to remove the gear at the bottom (there is a pin holding it I think), take the shaft out etc... Let's wait for others to confirm.

If it cannot be taken apart further, brush and vacuum whatever can be done from the top, and then lube it generously to prevent future corrosion. Verify the 2 "mobile flywheels" properly rotates without rubbing on disk below before installing springs etc...

chapster5 03-09-2021 08:16 AM

I just went thru this in the fall, you are going to need to soak in some kind of penetration lube. Those 2 lobes should slide just slide off. I seen no need to take the shaft out from the Distributor housing. I just soaked everything really good, it did take a bit then I was able to pull the 2 lobes off.

I ended up soaking everything in "Metal Rescue " , if you google it I am sure you should be able to find it near you.

Hope this helps, Chapster5

Dave Neptune 03-09-2021 10:47 AM

The two "counter weights" should pull off with some lube and movement.

If the shaft spins freely I would not bother to remove it. However to remove the shaft you must drive the "roll pin" out of the gear & shaft, then the shaft will slide out nicely. The advantage of removing is it will be easier to remove the rust as there is little real need to remove the shaft. The only good reason to R&R the shaft is to replace the housing bushings if they are worn ESPECIALLY WITH POINTS!

I do highly recomend the newer springs which work much better :rolleyes:.

Are you going with the points or an EI?

Dave Neptune :cool:

Dave Neptune 03-09-2021 10:48 AM

PS

The plate under the counter weights is welded to the shaft.

Dave Neptune :cool:

SeaHarlequin 03-09-2021 03:21 PM

Thank you all for your help. I'll focus on getting the two counterweights off and clean up the plate underneath the best I can. The shaft/gear look to be in excellent condition so I won't bother with removing them, etc. Thanks for the help!

ronstory 03-10-2021 07:20 PM

... and double check that it spins freely. The disti that came with puzzle build seemed really tight. I had another disti from an ebay purchase and that spins freely with no radial slop and used that instead.

I still need to dig into the tight disti but it's on the ever growing project list.