Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electrical (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Instruments (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11809)

Larry in Maine 02-20-2021 10:57 AM

Instruments

My Sabre 28 has the following gauges: Water temp, oil pressure, fuel, and ammeter. I want to add a tachometer and eliminate one of the existing gauges so I don't have to drill another hole. I also have a battery monitor for my solar panel that gives me data about the status of the batteries. So I was thinking that the ammeter is redundant and should be the one to eliminate. What do you think?

Dave Neptune 02-20-2021 11:52 AM

Drop the ammeter. The ammeter is a long wire run in many boats causing a voltage drop in the line, many have replaced with a volt meter.

Dave Neptune :cool:

sastanley 02-20-2021 07:10 PM

Larry, Agree with Dave on the ammeter delete. In the 70's they thought it was a good idea..the problem is the ENTIRE charging circuit is going from the alternator to the ammeter and then (likely) to the 1-2-ALL switch. That is a long run. I deleted the ammeter which allowed me to run the alternator output directly to the 1-2-ALL switch and put in a voltmeter..if I see 13+ volts on that meter I at least know the alt. is working. These days if you want an ammeter, I'd recommend a shunt style ammeter somewhere else.
I noticed you wanted to add a tach. I'd still recommend a volt instead of ammeter, but maybe I'd relocate the fuel gauge somewhere else too, so I could add a tach..maybe put the fuel gauge downstairs on a bulkhead somewhere..You don't really need that right up there in primary real estate. I don't even have a fuel gauge..I lift a cushion and do a visual check thru my poly tank.

roadnsky 02-20-2021 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As Shawn said, you don't need your Tach in your main gauge cluster.
(I put mine in a side coaming where an old depth gauge used to be)
You really just need to see it once in a while to set engine speed.

Also agree with Shawn to replace that Ammeter with a Volt meter.

SeaHarlequin 02-24-2021 10:41 PM

Nice Lookin' Panel

That Engine Warning System panel looks nifty. Is that something one can buy?

I have a Ranger 29 and the instrumentation on there is nowhere as nice looking. I'm looking for some ideas for upgrades. Thanks!

Hawkeye54 02-24-2021 10:49 PM

Sea Harlequin - Browse thru our hosts online catalogue - it is there
( KTAS_01_564 )

Rick

sastanley 02-25-2021 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaHarlequin (Post 124689)
That Engine Warning System panel looks nifty. Is that something one can buy?

I have a Ranger 29 and the instrumentation on there is nowhere as nice looking. I'm looking for some ideas for upgrades. Thanks!

SH, Jerry's stuff is always a step up from everyone else's. That EWDS panel would be a fabulous upgrade for anyone with A-4. I have it one my wishlist when I have a couple boat $$ to burn. :cool: