Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fuel System (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   4-5.5 psi facet fuel pump question (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11805)

svEmerald 02-17-2021 06:02 PM

4-5.5 psi facet fuel pump question

Hello, while I would prefer to support our hosts here, the cost of shipping and importing the electric fuel pump system to me here in Canada is cost-prohibitive. I can get the parts I need locally, but the only Facet pump I can locate is the higher pressure one that Moyer specifies for Catalinas (because of the longer fuel run, if I understand correctly). It is the 4 to 5.5 PSI model.

Can I use this pump in a "normal" installation, where the tank-to-carb run is only about 4' total? Or will the pressure be too high and I risk overpowering the carb?
Thanks

Dave Neptune 02-17-2021 06:52 PM

No worries

No the additional should not in any way hurt the small Zenith carb. The little bit of extra pressure is just wasting the additional ability of the higher pressure pump.

I would think that if your supplier has a Facet connection they should be able to get you the smaller pump. Did you ask?

Dave Neptune :cool:

svEmerald 02-17-2021 07:01 PM

Thanks, Dave. I did ask, and no, they apparently couldn't (blank looks). They had some of the other Facet pumps (the cube-shaped ones) but I'm comforted by the fact that this is the one Moyer specifies. I just wasn't sure if it would do harm.
If (when!) I get a chance to pick up one from Moyer (if my boat and I ever make it across the border), I'll get the lower pressure version and keep this as a spare.

Sam 02-17-2021 07:15 PM

I'll give you a couple thoughts. If memory serves me well I have a 1.5-3.5psi Faucet pump and my fuel pressure gauge mostly reads a steady 2.5psi bulk head mounted w/about 3 ft run and the carb runs fine. I have always read 1 to 2 psi is needed - you may be too force full. I am not sure what is available locally but I have had real good luck running smaller older tech Facet "cube" style electric pumps [3 in 40+ years - must be bulk head mounted higher than carb lower than tank]. Their catalog has many psi combinations. A friends boat needed a pump quickly and bought from an auto parts store a little cylindrical engine mounted chinese" Mr. Good" or something and its going on 10 yrs. Personaly I would not go that cheap but I would make every effort to keep in nominal 2-2.5 range. others may have different experiences w/pumps kicking on and off and possible "surges".

Sam 02-17-2021 07:22 PM

I will differ to Dave's expertice and logic - can't go wrong following it.. My concern was the 4psi lower limit not the higher 5psi.

Dave Neptune 02-17-2021 07:22 PM

If the additional pressure is a worry there are inline reducers available too. Most performance places should carry some and even a good parts house. You can dial in your pressure with one.

Dave Neptune :cool:

Al Schober 02-17-2021 08:14 PM

Agree with Dave.
An inline check valve will drop the pressure a bit. Kinda like using a diode to drop the voltage a bit. But try it without it - suspect you'll be fine.

svEmerald 02-18-2021 11:41 AM

Thanks everyone for the responses. I will go ahead and try it, and report back once I can say if it worked or not!
J