Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Head gasket question (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11855)

DDO 04-03-2021 04:07 PM

Head gasket question

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,
When I bought my boat, a packette of all the types of gaskets was passed on to me. In there are two of these white-ish head gaskets. Does anyone know if they are an acceptable type, a Moyer item, or anything that would help me decide if for any reason I should not use them? I'm very cautious about details I suppose. Thanks.

ronstory 04-03-2021 04:23 PM

That looks to the pre-graphite gasket, does it happen to have a part number on it anywhere?

A bit of history on head gasket change-over can be found here:

https://www.westerbeke.com/service%2...tin/sb_223.pdf

but the recommendation from MMI is still to use two gaskets.

Mo 04-03-2021 04:30 PM

If they are whitish green they may be original westerbeke head gaskets. They work fine but you use only one. Some people put them on dry, other's put them on wet. I don't think I'd use gasket cement though. If I was doing it I'd do wet but would talk to Dave about it.

Dave Neptune is the person that would surely know. Thing is that Dave is usually at large on the weekends and checks in early in the week. On this atomic 4 I've only had the graphite gaskets, so I haven't used one of those. I've taken off heads on an A4 though that those gaskets and with no evidence of a head gasket leak.

EDIT. That plate you took off that separated your two graphite gaskets would not go back on if you use one of these. Just need one. Also ensure the head and block are really really clean with no bumps or pieces of old head gasket material on them.

ronstory 04-03-2021 06:45 PM

During my rebuild I deviated from the standard path and glued a single head gasket in with Permatex #1. Yes, that will be a bear to get that head off if I ever have to in the future. But he chances of a head gasket leak with a single steel reinforced graphite gasket that is prematex'd in approaches zero.

My rationale is a full rebuild with magnafluxing, balancing and all new parts except for the tappets and cam. Plus being in a marine environment and working in my engine compartment is simply not fun, I wanted everything possible to make it bulletproof.

That motor motor lasted 45+ years with it's factory build. Due to my OCD nature and I fact if was measuring nanny (ninny? :D), I'd like to think I did be better rebuild than came from the factory. So unless average life expectancy increases *alot*... I'll be dead before that head has to come off. :eek:

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it. :cool:

Al Schober 04-04-2021 08:06 PM

Measure the thickness - if it's about 1/16" it's likely an original copper/asbestos gasket. Can't get them any more! Scrape it a little and see if you hit copper.
I know of folks that have removed their heads for valve work and reinstalled using the SAME copper/asbestos gasket! It probably belongs in a A4 museum somewhere.
Recommendation to use 2 gaskets is because the graphite gaskets are only 1/32".

DDO 04-05-2021 12:08 PM

Thanks. I guess the two together will work: they measure 1/16 together. Strange pale gray or white color didn't match the photo on Moyer, so I was concerned. They feel like plastic actually.

ronstory 04-05-2021 01:19 PM

My two cents. I would get just get the gasket from MMI. Gaskets really aren't that expensive and certain gaskets are just darn critical for operation and reliability. This is one of them.

I would feel better have a modern steel reinforced graphite than a best tech we had from the 1960s. Plus, this gasket is 'inconveniently located' and not a lot of fun to replace.. so I would just buy the best for piece of mind.