Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Good Guys (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Orange County, CA seeking advice/input (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11833)

dougslug42 03-14-2021 11:53 AM

Orange County, CA seeking advice/input

Hi! Looking for someone who has experience/expertise for installation of a newly refurbished Atomic 4 back into my boat. Its a small 14 foot motor launch and the engine has an Indigo fresh water cooling system and an Indigo aux oil filter system. I understand the basic fundamentals of said systems, but have little experience in marine engines. (But have worked on old Scouts and Rovers)

If anyone has spare time and advice, I will do all the heavy lifting and labor if that helps. Plus I make a mean cup of coffee! Thanks in advance.

Sincerely

Doug
Costa Mesa/Newport CA

thatch 03-14-2021 12:45 PM

Doug, Check your PM's
Tom

ndutton 03-14-2021 12:47 PM

I'm in. Maybe we can have a look at your project one afternoon this next week.

Private message coming your way with my contact information.

Al Schober 03-14-2021 10:59 PM

Sounds like a neat project - would love to help. But I think the air fare from CT is a killer.

Dave Neptune 03-15-2021 11:45 AM

Fun playing in the sandbox

I'd like to see it too. I'm also in So Cal and will be in Long Beach this week for a few days working on the boat. Today we're expecting 4~6 inches of snow and when that's shoveled I'm heading down the mountain for the boat.

I remember "Balls Auto" or something like that. He built a launch and installed an A-4. the thread should still be here on site. I remember him getting around 14 kts. I also remember he had a bit of trouble finding a prop to suit and I think he modified an OB style prop,

There may be a few insights to peruse for some valuable info. Maybe he will see this and get curious too.;)

Your in very good hands with Tom & Neil, both good guys. We have played A-4 stuff together on more than a few ideas and occasions.

Dave Neptune :cool:

W2ET 03-15-2021 01:23 PM

Quote:

remember "Balls Auto" or something like that. He built a launch and installed an A-4. the thread should still be here on site. I remember him getting around 14 kts. I also remember he had a bit of trouble finding a prop to suit and I think he modified an OB style prop,
Ball Racing

He last visited the forum a couple of months ago.

Bill

Dave Neptune 03-15-2021 01:46 PM

Thanx Bill.

Dave Neptune :cool:

sastanley 03-17-2021 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2ET (Post 124895)
Ball Racing

He last visited the forum a couple of months ago.

Bill

Here is a link to his "12.5 mph" thread.

https://www.moyermarineforum.com/for...ead.php?t=5824

ndutton 03-17-2021 04:47 PM

Where Doug plans to use his boat the speed is restricted to 5 knots and zero wake.

dougslug42 03-17-2021 11:40 PM

Thanks

I have gotten a lot of good data and am especially grateful for Neil's advice on setup and installation. He was able to swing by and take a look, again most grateful. I am going to do the pressure checks of the engine and the heat exchanger prior to the install. And yes this boat is only going to be putting around Newport Harbor, CA where there is indeed a 5 knot limit. But I'll be watching my son race sailboats (420 and FJ class) for the high school. (I can't get too close lest I embarrass my 15-year-old son, so 5 knots should be plenty!)

Thanks again for all the input...

Sincerely

Doug

ndutton 03-20-2021 10:21 PM

Picture and drawing as promised

2 Attachment(s)
Basic engine wiring drawing and intake flushing Tee picture to support discussions Doug and I had on site.

ronstory 03-21-2021 12:39 PM

Neil, from the diagram (nice schematic!) noticed you used 10amp fuse on the facet, it that a lesson from experience?

I'm using 5amp on mine, but never measured how many amps it uses on start-up... and would be an easy change for perhaps better reliability. :)

ndutton 03-21-2021 01:02 PM

Well, you're right. I have no quarrel with a 5 amp fuse for the fuel pump (1.4A operating amperage) but for me, as long as the fuse does not exceed the wire's rated amperage even at 10 amps we're still pretty good. It's all within reason though. I would not say the same for even higher amperage fuses in this application.

ronstory 03-21-2021 01:07 PM

Make sense and thank-you! ;^)

ndutton 03-21-2021 01:18 PM

I'll add that I provided the wiring drawing because the drawing Doug was trying to follow was not clear in the small details of which specific post each wire connected to plus his drawing included an ammeter (which he does not have) that was screwing everything up. Further, the flushing valve/Tee picture was because he is considering staying with raw water cooling due to space constraints for FWC (hint hint: there may be a complete FWC system available depending on what he decides . . . HX successfully pressure tested). The flush valve allows him to thoroughly flush his engine as part of boat clean-up in lieu of FWC. The downside is he won't reach the preferred higher engine operating temperature.