Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fuel System (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What kind of electric inline fuel pump do you have? (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11980)

wetbirks 07-21-2021 10:33 PM

What kind of electric inline fuel pump do you have?

2 Attachment(s)
I've been having issues with my motor so I had a mechanic look at it this evening. He said the electric inline fuel pump that I have is causing the problem.

He said the pump that I have is meant for a vehicle. It's delivering a too much fuel to the engine uncontrollably. He suggested I need a low volume fuel pump. The photos I have attached are my silver inline fuel pump.

What kind of inline fuel pump do you have on your boat? Can you make any recommendations?

ndutton 07-22-2021 12:44 AM

Recommended by Moyer Marine and offered in their online catalog:
https://moyermarine.com/product/elec...si-fpmp_01_44/

JOHN COOKSON 07-22-2021 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wetbirks (Post 126292)
Can you make any recommendations?

Yes.

When you upgrade your pump add a fuel pressure gauge and a polishing filter between the fuel pump and carburetor.

ex TRUE GRIT

wetbirks 07-22-2021 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHN COOKSON (Post 126294)
Yes.

When you upgrade your pump add a fuel pressure gauge and a polishing filter between the fuel pump and carburetor.

ex TRUE GRIT

This is helpful, thank you. Would t work with the existing pump that I have to add these items?

joe_db 07-22-2021 10:26 AM

Without a fuel pressure gauge, you and the mechanic are both guessing.
I would replace that thing with the correct fuel pump on general principles, but we have no idea if that is providing too much fuel, not enough, or the issue isn't even related.
The carb is not really sensitive to fuel pressure, I did some experiments with my engine and anything from 1 to 5 PSI worked fine. At some point you can have too much pressure and overpower the needle valve and flood the engine.
I would say that 3-4 PSI is the ideal zone. My fuel pressure sits on 4 usually :cool:

JOHN COOKSON 07-22-2021 01:40 PM

DITCH THE MECHANIC!

Quote:

I've been having issues with my motor so I had a mechanic look at it this evening. He said the electric inline fuel pump that I have is causing the problem.
He said the pump that I have is meant for a vehicle. It's delivering a too much fuel to the engine uncontrollably. He suggested I need a low volume fuel pump. The photos I have attached are my silver inline fuel pump.
What kind of inline fuel pump do you have on your boat? Can you make any recommendations?

Perhaps the "mechanic" was thinking of a fuel injected engine?
The fuel pump delivers fuel to the carburetor which then mixes fuel and air and delivers that mixture to the engine. See post #5 for more details.

ex TRUE GRIT

wetbirks 07-22-2021 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHN COOKSON (Post 126302)
Perhaps the "mechanic" was thinking of a fuel injected engine?
The fuel pump delivers fuel to the carburetor which then mixes fuel and air and delivers that mixture to the engine. See post #5 for more details.

ex TRUE GRIT

Interesting. So this could indicate more of a carburettor issue than a fuel pump issue?

joe_db 07-22-2021 02:43 PM

It could be a lot of things - exactly what is the problem?
Did the engine EVER work with this fuel pump?
Also if you are paying a mechanic, a fuel pressure gauge will cost less than paying him for 1 hour to make random guesses ;)

roadnsky 07-23-2021 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_db (Post 126305)
It could be a lot of things - exactly what is the problem?
Did the engine EVER work with this fuel pump?

Sooooo, this is directly related to WETBIRKS original thread but I don't think it was truly resolved.
In that thread a number of us suggested the proper fuel pump (Facet), pressure gauge, OPSS, etc earlier.

As Joe and John said, you're throwing money at a Mechanic that could be used to get the right gear.

wetbirks 07-26-2021 12:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just finished installing the fuel pressure gauge and a polish filter. Now I have fuel leaking out of the seam between the flame arrestor and the carburetor. Any idea what I will find what I open that up? Is there a seal in that location?

Surcouf 07-26-2021 01:34 PM

this is the intake of the carburetor, there is no seal, as there should be no fuel.
Are you 100% sure fuel is coming from the intake and not leaking from the carburetor casing split gasket?

First question:
- is that leaking when the engine runs? or when it is stopped? if it is while stopped, it means your SSV valve is not stopping fuel, you are pushing fuel to the carb that is not perfctly sealing, and your carb tank float is getting overflowned, filling your entire carburetor with gas. NOT GOOD
- if it is while running, and if it gas is really coming out from the intake of the manifold, that would mean there is a large excess of fuel getting in the body of the carburetor. can't be good.

I let the more experienced jive in here

JOHN COOKSON 07-26-2021 01:45 PM

Quote:

Do you still have the old in line fuel pump connected?

ex TRUE GRIT

Edit: What is the fuel pressure?

wetbirks 07-26-2021 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surcouf (Post 126352)
this is the intake of the carburetor, there is no seal, as there should be no fuel.
Are you 100% sure fuel is coming from the intake and not leaking from the carburetor casing split gasket?

First question:
- is that leaking when the engine runs? or when it is stopped? if it is while stopped, it means your SSV valve is not stopping fuel, you are pushing fuel to the carb that is not perfctly sealing, and your carb tank float is getting overflowned, filling your entire carburetor with gas. NOT GOOD
- if it is while running, and if it gas is really coming out from the intake of the manifold, that would mean there is a large excess of fuel getting in the body of the carburetor. can't be good.

I let the more experienced jive in here

This is happening when the engine is not running. I just turn the key to try to build pressure after I installed a fuel pressure gauge and polish filter.

wetbirks 07-26-2021 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHN COOKSON (Post 126354)
Do you still have the old in line fuel pump connected?

ex TRUE GRIT

Edit: What is the fuel pressure?

Yes, I still have the old filter installed. I was hoping to get a pressure reading from the old filter before installing a new one.

wetbirks 07-26-2021 02:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I took off the flame arrestor and the carburetor to take a look inside. I thought maybe there would be some gunk build up but it actually looks pretty clean.

Surcouf 07-26-2021 02:47 PM

Your float never perfectly fully seals, and so when you apply pressure on the carb, you overfill the bowl, and so you fill the carburetor body with gas, and if that happens, the very first place it will leak is from where you saw gas exit: the flame arretor and its connection.

this is exactly why your electrical fuel pump is only powered when you have oil pressure, starting when cranking. At least if your fuel pump is wired normally. Turning the key without cranking should NOT start the pump, as it WILL leak out of the carburetor bowl, one way or another.
Just think what was the situation with the mechanical pump: only fuel pressure when shaft spinning

No kidding here, this is a HUGE hazard...

joe_db 07-26-2021 03:13 PM

What is your fuel pressure?

wetbirks 07-26-2021 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_db (Post 126360)
What is your fuel pressure?

It got up to around 3 and then I shut it down when I saw the leak.

ndutton 07-26-2021 05:22 PM

There is supposed to be an O ring inside the air intake horn where it slips onto the carburetor:
https://moyermarine.com/product/flam...fcar_08-1_300/

It's normal for a little fuel to pool inside an updraft carb throat after engine shut down. The scavenge tube exists to extract that fuel into the intake manifold when the engine is running. However, it is not normal for fuel to leak out anywhere when the engine is running.

edit:
You think the inside of the carb looks clean? Looks like it's had a hard, wet life to me.

wetbirks 08-03-2021 09:30 PM

As a follow-up, I cleaned up the carburetor, reinstalled it and everything is running much better now. I also installed the fuel gauge and polish filter as recommended earlier in this thread.

ronstory 08-04-2021 01:31 PM

Nice. It's always good to get closure. ;^)

Did you end up with an OPSS?

wetbirks 08-04-2021 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronstory (Post 126475)
Nice. It's always good to get closure. ;^)

Did you end up with an OPSS?

Yes I did!