Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Maintenance (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Possible starter ring problem? (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4036)

skhorleb 04-17-2010 05:03 PM

Possible starter ring problem?

It's been a while since I have posted anything to this forum. 'Still have my late model A4 on a 74 C&C 30...Always starts and purrs like a kitten...until recently.

Background: Recently had the starter rebuilt locally. It is a starter I purchased from M&M 3 years ago that did not disengage from the flywheel one time and had to be rebuilt....oops. After the starter rebuild and installation, I since started the engine about a dozen times without any troubles. However, the starter no longer engages with the flywheel. About once every 20 attempts it catches the flywheel and the engine turns over right away...otherwise, the starter just spins. This is not a great audio description but there is a bell-like ring as the starter barely makes contact with the flywheel. I don't want to tear up my starter or flywheel.

Other diagnostic details: The starter housing is completely flush with the engine block flange. I checked that both starter bolts to the engine block are nice and tight. My batteries are in great shape. The water pump pulley and drive shaft spin when I apply a wrench by hand, so I know the engine has not seized up. Before I reinstalled the starter I noticed the teeth on the flywheel showed no severe wear, but the wear pattern on the the flywheel teeth suggests that only the very back of the flywheel teeth made any contact with the engaged starter gear. That flywheel wear pattern has existed ever since I owned the boat.

Hmmmm...Good starter...Plenty of juice...History of minimal contact between the starter and flywheel. Is it possible that the starter ring on the flywheel has moved forward over time, now out of reach of the starter gear? I read elsewhere in this forum that sometimes can occur over time.

I hate to jump the gun and order a replacement flywheel, gasket, roll pin (and possibly studs.)

As always, thanks for any advice on how to finish diagnosing this and remedy. In the meantime, I'm forced to just sip my favorite thirst quenchers while I'm missing out on some great Gulf Coast winds and mental health.

Best Wishes,

Desperate Steve

67c&ccorv 04-18-2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skhorleb (Post 20708)
It's been a while since I have posted anything to this forum. 'Still have my late model A4 on a 74 C&C 30...Always starts and purrs like a kitten...until recently.

Background: Recently had the starter rebuilt locally. It is a starter I purchased from M&M 3 years ago that did not disengage from the flywheel one time and had to be rebuilt....oops. After the starter rebuild and installation, I since started the engine about a dozen times without any troubles. However, the starter no longer engages with the flywheel. About once every 20 attempts it catches the flywheel and the engine turns over right away...otherwise, the starter just spins. This is not a great audio description but there is a bell-like ring as the starter barely makes contact with the flywheel. I don't want to tear up my starter or flywheel.

Other diagnostic details: The starter housing is completely flush with the engine block flange. I checked that both starter bolts to the engine block are nice and tight. My batteries are in great shape. The water pump pulley and drive shaft spin when I apply a wrench by hand, so I know the engine has not seized up. Before I reinstalled the starter I noticed the teeth on the flywheel showed no severe wear, but the wear pattern on the the flywheel teeth suggests that only the very back of the flywheel teeth made any contact with the engaged starter gear. That flywheel wear pattern has existed ever since I owned the boat.

Hmmmm...Good starter...Plenty of juice...History of minimal contact between the starter and flywheel. Is it possible that the starter ring on the flywheel has moved forward over time, now out of reach of the starter gear? I read elsewhere in this forum that sometimes can occur over time.

I hate to jump the gun and order a replacement flywheel, gasket, roll pin (and possibly studs.)

As always, thanks for any advice on how to finish diagnosing this and remedy. In the meantime, I'm forced to just sip my favorite thirst quenchers while I'm missing out on some great Gulf Coast winds and mental health.

Best Wishes,

Desperate Steve

If it is a late model A-4 then you have a Delco-Remy starter motor with the starter pinion that is thrust forward and engages the engine flywheel ring gear via electrical impulse of the solenoid (as opposed to the earlier Prestolite starter motor which centrifically engaged the flywheel ring gear as a result of the rotation of the Bendix drive).

With the Delco-Remy unit I would start by removing the starter and checking the function of the solenoid unit and its' ability to thrust the starter pinion forward into the flywheel ring gear. I would be more inclined to believe that the starter pinion (for whatever reason...lack of lubrication, rust or improper location of bushings spacers, washers etc.,) is not engaging the flywheel ring gear as opposed to the flywheel ring gear moving forward.

Hope this helps - BTW just imagine yourself locked in the GWN for 6 months of winter dreaming of Gulf Coast breezes!:(

skhorleb 06-05-2010 12:12 AM

Resolved starter issue

Thanks for your input. I lubed the starter but that did not make any difference. Solenoid is new and thrusts forward as expected.

Fortunately, I have a spare Delco starter that I had rebuilt at the same time as the other starter that was giving me trouble. (With older equipment, I keep as many spare parts on hand as possible.)

Installing the spare did the trick. Problem solved. I am not going to invest any more time diagnosing the defective starter other than keep it around in case I need to cannibalize it for some of it's components.

'Now that BP's oil disaster is about to enter Mobile Bay, the local government is putting out oil booms all along the eastern shoreline, including at the mouth of our marina. (This is the first time I wished I was in the GWN.) The booms should provide significant protection (unless we get a hurricane); Indefinitely, there will be no access out of the marina, so I will have plenty of time for other projects. Time for a vinegar engine flush.

Peace!