X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2105Joust
    • Jun 2020

Starting Problem

A little help please for my 1973 C&C 30 MK1. When I don't run the boat for 7 or 8 days my usually reliable A4 won't start. There is no fuel on the spark plugs. I found that if I remove the bulkhead mounted gas filter, refill and replace it starts right up. I didn't want to mention the obvious but rather see what suggestions I receive. Thank you
    Last edited by 2105Joust; 11-10-2020, 03:42 PM. Reason: error
  • SubtoSail
    • Feb 2018

Sounds like a gas leak to me, if you're only touching the fuel system between not starting and starting. Check the carb throat for fuel after cranking in addition to the spark plugs.

Do you have a shutoff valve between the fuel tank and the filter?

If I understand correctly, the fuel system should be full of fuel and free of air at all times. I don't recall ever pulling off a fuel filter and finding it empty, or even near empty. If your fuel filter is empty after sitting for some time the fuel must be going somewhere. Is the filter the highest point in the system?

Is the carb bowl full of fuel when you return to the boat? If it is, there is likely enough fuel to get the engine running, and I would think you would experience a shutdown shortly after starting as that big air bubble works its way through.

Others will be along with ideas I'm sure. If you return to the boat to an empty fuel line the fuel must have gone somewhere. My guess would be into the bilge, or back into the tank if there is no shutoff valve (or the valve is left open).

Comment

• roadnsky
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by 2105Joust View Post
      I didn't want to mention the obvious but rather see what suggestions I receive.
      Do you have an inline FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE?

Welcome to the Forum!
      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
      sigpic
      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Al Schober
        Afourian MVP
        • Jul 2009

Agree, pressure gauge.
        But of more concern, where is the fuel going? If it's not in the filter/float bowl, where is it? In the bilge? BIG problem!!!

Comment

• 2105Joust
          • Jun 2020

Thanks all
          I do have and use a shut off between the fuel tank and the filter. I have also checked the throat of the carb. When I remove the gas filter it's only shy an inch or so of fuel. My own thought was that the fuel pump was weakened to the point of not being able to draw the fuel into the bowl and carb. I have found no evidence of a fuel leak. Thanks again

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Nov 2008

IT COULD BE THIS, IT COULD BE THAT

Originally posted by 2105Joust View Post
            . I found that if I remove the bulkhead mounted gas filter, refill and replace it starts right up. I didn't want to mention the obvious(WHAT?) but rather see what suggestions I receive. Thank you
            What is obvious??? What may be "obvious" to one may not be "obvious" to someone else. MAYBE there is a partial blockage in the fuel tank outlet? MAYBE there is there an air leak somewhere? And so on.
            You're guessing where the problem is.
            Let's get some hard facts and go from there.
            Run off an auxiliary tank straight to the fuel pump bypassing all filters and the boats parts of the fuel system and see what happens. Then you will know which area of the fuel system is at fault - the boat's part or the engines part of the fuel system.

ex TRUE GRIT

Edit: Electronic or mechanical fuel pump?
            Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 11-11-2020, 01:33 AM.

Comment

• 2105Joust
              • Jun 2020

Starting Problem

Thank you all for the responses. I have a mechanical fuel pump. I do not have a fuel pressure gauge. I will try the fuel line directly to the pump. Also no gas in the oil via the pump.
              Thank you!

Comment

• GregH
                Afourian MVP
                • Jun 2015

One aspect that you have not mentioned and is very important, I think, is do you smell gas? Have you stuck your nose in the bilge for a good sniff?

Even if you cannot see any gas but you can smell it, then don't even think about starting the engine until that is solved please.
                Greg
                1975 Alberg 30
                sigpic

Comment

• Mo
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Jun 2007

You have a mechanical fuel pump. Pull the dipstick and see if you smell gas on it. A small pinhole /perforation in the diaphragm on the mechanical fuel pump can cause difficulty starting. You may note a "sort of oil/gas smell"...not quite the smell of frank gas but an odd smell in the boat that wasn't there before.
                  Mo

"Odyssey"
                  1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                  The optimist expects it to change.
                  The realist adjusts the sails.
                  ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• 2105Joust
                    • Jun 2020

Starting Problem

Thanks for all the responses. I live in New Jersey and now have the boat on the hard and winterized. I hope we have an easy winter and early Spring.
                    Thank again!

Comment

Working...
                    X