Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Search Forums

Showing results 1 to 24 of 24
Search took 0.01 seconds.
Search: Posts Made By: scratchee
Forum: Troubleshooting 09-11-2022, 12:59 PM
Replies: 10
Views: 1,599
Posted By scratchee
I had a problem like this and it did turn out to...

I had a problem like this and it did turn out to be the coil. When I replaced the coil, not only did it fix the engine problem but it unexpectedly fixed another problem that I had been ignoring and...
Forum: General Interest 02-27-2022, 11:02 AM
Replies: 9
Views: 2,497
Posted By scratchee
I'm up near Deale, and picked up a couple...

I'm up near Deale, and picked up a couple salvaged A4's about this time last year. I tore one down completely, and the other is still sitting on blocks in unknown internal condition (probably some...
Forum: General Interest 02-23-2022, 07:52 PM
Replies: 15
Views: 2,341
Posted By scratchee
I think the built-in Microsoft anti-virus is on...

I think the built-in Microsoft anti-virus is on by default in recent years. For a very basic test, right-click on any file, and one of the menu choices that pops up should/might be "Scan with...
Forum: General Interest 02-20-2022, 09:13 AM
Replies: 13
Views: 2,383
Posted By scratchee
Does it have an ill-defined neutral, and require...

Does it have an ill-defined neutral, and require significant continuous force to hold it in reverse? If not, it's probably not for me.
Forum: Cooling System 02-12-2022, 07:14 PM
Replies: 43
Views: 53,597
Posted By scratchee
Do you know the compression in the cylinders? ...

Do you know the compression in the cylinders? Milky oil and moisture could mean a ruptured head gasket between those two cylinders with issues. That could also account for the dirty thermostat. ...
Forum: Fuel System 01-21-2022, 07:19 PM
Replies: 16
Views: 2,042
Posted By scratchee
I solved a couple problems by removing my squeeze...

I solved a couple problems by removing my squeeze bulb and replacing the fuel line. I'm fairly certain the bulb was leaking at one of the hose connections, so the fuel pump would not draw fuel (the...
Forum: Troubleshooting 01-12-2022, 12:10 AM
Replies: 35
Views: 8,181
Posted By scratchee
Dave, at some point in the past I thought I...

Dave, at some point in the past I thought I understood this advice, but now I don't. Do you mean on top of the valve, or on top of the tappet? And if it's on top of the tappet, wouldn't the tappet...
Forum: General Maintenance 10-26-2021, 08:34 PM
Replies: 7
Views: 2,092
Posted By scratchee
Sorry if I missed it, but are you raw water...

Sorry if I missed it, but are you raw water cooled, or do you have a heat exchanger? If you have a heat exchanger you don't need to drain anything, because the engine cooling passages are filled...
Forum: Cooling System 09-12-2021, 08:59 PM
Replies: 7
Views: 1,614
Posted By scratchee
Art, a few years ago I had a pretty serious...

Art, a few years ago I had a pretty serious overheating event due to a number of stupid circumstances that were totally my fault. One little piece of luck was that my cooling circuit had a...
Forum: Troubleshooting 07-03-2021, 09:32 PM
Replies: 1
Views: 1,078
Posted By scratchee
Thumbs up Don't need help with my Atomic 4

Cheers everybody. I've had my share of engine issues in the past few years. Some were resolved with help from this forum.

Today I went out for what was really my first day of actual sailing this...
Forum: Fuel System 06-04-2021, 10:02 PM
Replies: 26
Views: 4,828
Posted By scratchee
Sorry if I missed it, but what sort of starting...

Sorry if I missed it, but what sort of starting issues are you having? What are the symptoms? Last year I did some similar work to what you are doing, including adding a water separator and...
Forum: Troubleshooting 04-11-2021, 10:24 AM
Replies: 41
Views: 6,851
Posted By scratchee
Sounds like a great job for a little script run...

Sounds like a great job for a little script run on the database.
Forum: Troubleshooting 03-29-2021, 05:53 AM
Posted By scratchee
Have you tried something with better penetration,...

Have you tried something with better penetration, like PB Blaster or an acetone/oil mix? You need something that will fight its way down along the valve stem.
Forum: Troubleshooting 03-28-2021, 08:29 PM
Posted By scratchee
I've found this tool to be very handy. You put...

I've found this tool to be very handy. You put it inline between a spark plug and that plug's wire, and there will be a visible spark inside the tool to confirm that your spark plug is is getting...
Forum: Troubleshooting 03-23-2021, 06:48 PM
Posted By scratchee
You might want to read through my thread from...

You might want to read through my thread from when I had a very similar problem about six months ago (summary: fixed with lubricants and patience):
Forum: Cooling System 03-21-2021, 07:49 AM
Replies: 23
Views: 4,364
Posted By scratchee
I had a problem like you describe several years...

I had a problem like you describe several years ago. I spent a lot of time troubleshooting the pump (including removal), but it turned out to be that the old bronze water strainer was not sealed...
Forum: General Interest 03-20-2021, 11:27 AM
Replies: 3
Views: 2,764
Posted By scratchee
Maybe you should wear that shirt! Sometimes the...

Maybe you should wear that shirt! Sometimes the best way to honor our departed brothers is to keep them in our daily lives.
Forum: Troubleshooting 03-08-2021, 10:09 PM
Posted By scratchee
Is it firing on all cylinders? You can try to...

Is it firing on all cylinders? You can try to remove the spark plug wires one at a time, while the engine is running (replace them before removing the next one). Each time you remove a wire, there...
Forum: Troubleshooting 11-15-2020, 08:53 AM
Replies: 11
Views: 2,279
Posted By scratchee
I think you may have confused some people with...

I think you may have confused some people with this line. It now sounds like you presume there is water in the cylinders because of the cranking time, but you haven't actually seen any signs of...
Forum: Troubleshooting 10-03-2020, 07:55 PM
Replies: 78
Views: 20,834
Posted By scratchee
I hadn't seen any of this thread until now, but I...

I hadn't seen any of this thread until now, but I give you an A+ for the courtesy of an update two years later! Thank you!
Forum: Troubleshooting 10-03-2020, 07:26 PM
Replies: 24
Views: 4,187
Posted By scratchee
Okay, happy ending here! Every day this week...

Okay, happy ending here!

Every day this week I've been stopping by the boat for 10-15 minutes on the way to and from work. I'd run the engine, and if the problem persisted I'd add more/different...
Forum: Troubleshooting 07-01-2020, 10:07 AM
Replies: 14
Views: 3,276
Posted By scratchee
Have you seen this carb troubleshooting video...

Have you seen this carb troubleshooting video from Moyer? I've cued it up to a point that may address your problem, but you should watch the whole thing anyway.

https://youtu.be/kHuemGC_PHA?t=166
Forum: Introductions 04-24-2020, 07:30 PM
Replies: 22
Views: 8,548
Posted By scratchee
It's possible you're visualizing it upside down. ...

It's possible you're visualizing it upside down. The needle sits on top of the float. When the float lowers, the needle drops down and allows fuel to flow. When the float rises, the needle is...
Forum: Overhaul 04-05-2020, 02:33 PM
Replies: 22
Views: 4,563
Posted By scratchee
This one appears to be open (maybe the same one?...

This one appears to be open (maybe the same one? $395, running but possible valve problem): ...
Showing results 1 to 24 of 24