Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Search Forums

Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 0.05 seconds.
Search: Posts Made By: Dave Neptune
Forum: Electrical 03-26-2024, 02:43 PM
Replies: 9
Views: 4,148
Posted By Dave Neptune
That will work however I like hooking it to the...

That will work however I like hooking it to the battery switch output side. That way you can charge one bank at a time or both at the same time. It will really work either way depending on how the...
Forum: Troubleshooting 03-21-2024, 11:09 AM
Replies: 34
Views: 965
Posted By Dave Neptune
First welcome to the MMI Forum. That's not...

First welcome to the MMI Forum.

That's not good at all. Definitely replace the regulator 17V is way to high and could even of possibly killed the battery. Also charge the battery up and get it...
Forum: Ignition System 03-16-2024, 01:29 PM
Replies: 11
Views: 620
Posted By Dave Neptune
The gear should turn freely in one direction and...

The gear should turn freely in one direction and not the other as it rotates on the shaft. Not sure as to what type you have of the 2 most common.

A "Bendix" style uses a twisting groove (thread)...
Forum: Fuel System 03-16-2024, 12:40 PM
Replies: 1
Views: 302
Posted By Dave Neptune
I believe it is symmetric. If there was a "flow"...

I believe it is symmetric. If there was a "flow" direction it would be indicated by an arrow.

My O-ring was destroyed when I bought the boat and I ran it without for 34 years. It is probably more...
Forum: Cooling System 03-04-2024, 08:07 PM
Replies: 4
Views: 403
Posted By Dave Neptune
First I would wire brush it a bit to confirm if...

First I would wire brush it a bit to confirm if it is braised with brass or soldered. It does look like brass and if it is most any radiator or automotive welding shop should be able to braise it...
Forum: General Interest 02-28-2024, 09:15 AM
Replies: 16
Views: 318
Posted By Dave Neptune
Any type of centrifugal pump will allow a system...

Any type of centrifugal pump will allow a system like Shawn's to work as it is the same as millions of automobile engines. Getting the engine "burped" just means you need to have the fill point at a...
Forum: Troubleshooting 02-25-2024, 02:52 PM
Replies: 25
Views: 629
Posted By Dave Neptune
Not sure why I did not think of this before. It...

Not sure why I did not think of this before. It may be easier to remove the lever from the trans. It is held in place with a single screw. If you can get it loose and have enough room to remove the...
Forum: Announcements 02-22-2024, 01:16 PM
Replies: 2
Views: 180
Posted By Dave Neptune
OK, will you advise of the shut down date in...

OK, will you advise of the shut down date in advance?

Dave Neptune :cool:
Forum: Troubleshooting 02-20-2024, 10:46 AM
Posted By Dave Neptune
If the clevis pin is stuck you might cut it in...

If the clevis pin is stuck you might cut it in half between the jaws and remove it that way. The end you beat on is probably mushroomed. A new pin is an easy acquisition.:rolleyes:

Dave Neptune...
Forum: Troubleshooting 02-18-2024, 02:28 PM
Posted By Dave Neptune
A direct drive is a 1:1 drive and is as I believe...

A direct drive is a 1:1 drive and is as I believe what most all Cat 30''s were equipped with.

Do detach the cable from the shifting lever on the trans. The cable can be frozen inside the sleeve...
Forum: General Maintenance 02-12-2024, 12:51 PM
Replies: 18
Views: 794
Posted By Dave Neptune
There is really no necessity for gasket sealer on...

There is really no necessity for gasket sealer on the manifold to block and sealer should not be used on the exhaust gasket. However my personal preference on any old marine engine is to use Permatex...
Forum: Ignition System 01-23-2024, 07:06 PM
Replies: 6
Views: 345
Posted By Dave Neptune
The first thing I would do is check the...

The first thing I would do is check the connections on the big wires from the battery connection to the solenoid and then to the starter. Also check the battery ground connections. If no joy then do...
Forum: Electrical 01-22-2024, 05:25 PM
Replies: 12
Views: 587
Posted By Dave Neptune
As Hanley points out more often than not problems...

As Hanley points out more often than not problems on marine DC systems are often found on the negative side as it "completes" the path. The negative side also is often overlooked by many backyard...
Forum: General Maintenance 01-14-2024, 03:27 PM
Replies: 18
Views: 794
Posted By Dave Neptune
Did you fix the mentioned leak and start the...

Did you fix the mentioned leak and start the engine to see if the problem went away?

If it is still steaming then you will need to remove the manifold to see if a stud is leaking and inspect the...
Forum: Troubleshooting 01-02-2024, 03:47 PM
Replies: 4
Views: 722
Posted By Dave Neptune
As per Golfdsd75 get a remote start switch...

As per Golfdsd75 get a remote start switch available at most any parts house and rather than hook it up when you need it just mount it permanently near the engine. A great tool to have close whenever...
Forum: Electrical 12-30-2023, 09:24 AM
Replies: 28
Views: 1,346
Posted By Dave Neptune
Hanley, how old is your battery switch? Is it...

Hanley, how old is your battery switch? Is it possible that a contact could be corroded or malfunctioning? Most of the time a diode blows is due to a surge from a quick off/on and usually from...
Forum: Introductions 12-28-2023, 11:25 AM
Views: 2,443
Posted By Dave Neptune
As Hanley stated it is not a good idea to combine...

As Hanley stated it is not a good idea to combine the engine intake with ANYTHING else. The engine could easily have sucked in anything that went into and down the cockpit drains especially hair. I...
Forum: Introductions 12-27-2023, 07:42 PM
Views: 2,443
Posted By Dave Neptune
The engine does not sound bad at all. However I...

The engine does not sound bad at all. However I don't like the condition of the coolant as it looks oily. Also does the bubbling in the HX go away after a minute or two? If it continues I would...
Forum: General Interest 12-24-2023, 09:50 AM
Replies: 9
Views: 997
Posted By Dave Neptune
Holidays

A Happy and a Merry to all :).

Best to all, Dave Neptune :cool:
Forum: Electrical 12-22-2023, 12:38 PM
Replies: 10
Views: 1,018
Posted By Dave Neptune
As Neil stated it's "your boat now" and your turn...

As Neil stated it's "your boat now" and your turn to correct the mistakes found and make it "safe" to operate with confidence. Wiring is pretty straight forward and simple when done one step at a...
Forum: Electrical 12-21-2023, 07:06 PM
Replies: 10
Views: 1,018
Posted By Dave Neptune
It is common for a single wire to feed the...

It is common for a single wire to feed the "control panel" and it's switches and gages. As you state that multiple wires are hooked to one I would suspect that the PO had trouble with the switches....
Forum: General Interest 12-19-2023, 12:07 PM
Replies: 3
Views: 611
Posted By Dave Neptune
Personally I am a big fan of the synthetic oils...

Personally I am a big fan of the synthetic oils as they do not break down as fast which is the only reason for the "extended" life. As far as the MMO synthetic I would guess it would work much better...
Forum: Fuel System 12-09-2023, 10:18 PM
Replies: 7
Views: 4,195
Posted By Dave Neptune
Hanley, if you could get the old smaller CI carb...

Hanley, if you could get the old smaller CI carb balanced it would be a better "fit" and even at that a bit to large. As the 4 & 5 screw Zenith are later models the metering for the transfer from...
Forum: Troubleshooting 12-07-2023, 03:04 PM
Replies: 30
Views: 9,947
Posted By Dave Neptune
It is pointless to go back to points :D. A lil...

It is pointless to go back to points :D. A lil points pun.

In these old distributors the point cams are pretty worn out so proper setting is a PIA and you really would need a dwell meter. Once you...
Forum: Troubleshooting 12-07-2023, 11:20 AM
Replies: 30
Views: 9,947
Posted By Dave Neptune
Now we're into the checking of the Pertronics...

Now we're into the checking of the Pertronics unit itself where I am of little use. However as most "electronic units" are not serviceable for repair I will guess that the unit is fried. For the...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500