• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

Lithium Jump Starters

Wondering if any folks have experience with the lithium jump start units? The one I'm considering is the NOCO GB40.
    Background: I have one of the Subarus that fall under the battery class action lawsuit. Seems there are 3 contributing factors: 1) Undersize battery (issue has been fixed), 2) Parasitic draw, and 3) voltage regulator set too low for full recharge. I haven't addressed issues 2 or 3 yet. Carrying jumper cables seems like a no brainer but requires finding a joule donor. A jump starter might be a self-sufficient alternate - if they work.
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Al, my son is a very serious off road camper and carries one. He has had it for many years and many starts for his vehicle and others. I spoke to him this morning regarding it and he still gives it great praise. And as a matter of fact at a site 100 miles off road last weekend he used it to start a big block truck that was stuck with jumper cables but no donor until my son came along. One should work just fine for the Subaru. He also says it does a good job of holding a charge and he has the capacity to charge it via the solar on his rig just in case.
    I know a few people that carry them on there boats just incase but I don't know if they actually used them for any other than a RIB and a small OB motor.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• roadnsky
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Al-
      What year is your Subaru?
      Mine is a 2018 and I had 2-3 dead battery episodes before finding out about the Parasitic draw (#2)
      I had already replaced the battery (with a larger one) but was still finding a dead battery after about 5-6 days sitting (Airport Parking)
      Finally found a "fix" by removing the DCM Fuse at this discussion site.
      It's been almost a year with zero dead battery episodes (longer than a week sitting) so that has fixed the problem in my case.
      I also bought THIS portable charger but have only used the air pump on it in the year that I've had it.
      Of course, YMMV...
      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
      sigpic
      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Al Schober
        Afourian MVP
        • Jul 2009

Car is a 2017 Outback Limited (top trim).
        I've replaced the battery. Difference is like between a C and D cell. The new big one fits right into the tray. Might be a message there...
        Just received and tried a plug in voltmeter. Meter goes into the cigarette lighter receptacle right under the heat/AC controls. After starting the vehicle, voltmeter read 14.40 to 14.37 - fluctuating between the two. I haven't compared it to readings with my multimeter on the battery itself but those voltages are not out of whack (in my book).
        Looking at a 3 week road trip to Quebec & Nova Scotia, I think I'll buy the lithium jumper unit.

Comment

• Sam
          Afourian MVP
          • Apr 2010

For what it is worth I have 3 small Lithium jump starters, 1000 to 1200 peak amps of different makes for 3 cars, Saturn sports car, Nissan Xterra and C-300 MB, Purchased them from various sources, Home Depot, Costco, Groupon etc. Each one has saved the day at least once either for me or a friend. Just purchased another one "Schumacker" brand from big box store on sale for $40 to keep on the boat- don't expect to use it but could easily help a harbor mate out. Best to re-charge them every few months Like the old Amex commercial -. "don't leave home without it"

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

I have one too that I put in my wife's car and it has performed as expected. I forget to check it, and 6-9 months later it is at 99%. I am thinking for one for the boat next, since this boat does not have a mast & sails as a back up plan.
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• joe_db
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

I had one and it worked a few times and then died and refused to charge. They do work if not defective. I would be wary of having one on a boat though, they could be a significant fire risk.
              Joe Della Barba
              Coquina
              C&C 35 MK I
              Maryland USA

Comment

• Sam
                Afourian MVP
                • Apr 2010

did not consider that Joe - did not hear of these little jumpers initiating a fire like their larger versions but principle is the same. I'll leave it off, if another boat needs a jump I can get one from the car. thx

Comment

Working...
                X