X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tommarchall
    • Nov 2022

Oil pressure adjustment screw leak

I think I have a slow leak from the oil pressure adjustment screw. I’m going to try simply tightening it. But I’ve ordered the new gasket from Moyer.

my question is: when I take off the nut will the spring pop? And if it does all come out, are their instructions on getting back in?

thanks in advance!
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

The nut just locks the adjusting screw so if you hold the screw in place only the nut will will come off. If you are going through the trouble of resealing I recommend that you get the new style conical adjuster to replace the ball that is probably still there. The ball can be a bit problematic getting out of the hole, sometimes a kick on the starter will push it out with a bit of oil so have a rag ready. The conical relief is slightly better and easier to work with. I think it a worth while upgrade if you are disassembling it anyway.
    It is easier to back out the screw to relieve the pressure when removing the assembly and your hand holding it while undoing will keep any popping from happening. The nut only locks the screw and only the screw is threaded into the block.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

See your Moyer Marine Service and Overhaul Manual, page 5-2, figure 6 for additional information.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Al Schober
        Afourian MVP
        • Jul 2009

The washer that goes between the nut and the block is a special one that has a rubber center. This is to try and seal the leak path along the thread. If the washer doesn't have the rubber center or it's damaged, expect a leak.

Comment

• tommarchall
          • Nov 2022

Thanks so much all. I've received a replacement. In the meantime i tightened it up. It was at least a turn loose, so hopefully that takes care of it.

Comment

Working...
          X