X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryan Janeway
    • Jun 2017

Leaky real seal???

Just looking for some advice before I start digging….

I replaced my rear seal at the beginning of last year because of a small oil leak that appeared to be coming from the seal. The obvious sign was drips on the bottom of the coupling. It was never bad but something I thought I could deal with by replacing the seal. It didn’t seem to help much and this year it’s a touch worse. I am at the point of taping the blue paper towel around the coupling otherwise the little bit of oil gets slung around the engine bay and bilge. When the boat is not running no real drips at all. Maybe a few drops over a few days on the towel I place underneath. I ran the engine for about 6 hours this past week and the amount of oil on the paper towel was concerning. I looked at the old oil seal that was removed and I don’t see any obvious flaws. When the seal was replaced the shaft was in excellent condition. Before I rip into it to find what’s going on does anyone have any advice on where else oil could be coming from. I’m thinking the seal isn’t the problem but am not sure what is.

thanks,

Bryan
  • Bryan Janeway
    • Jun 2017

Oh yeah. FYI it is direct drive

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

How about the gaskets?

Comment

• Bryan Janeway
        • Jun 2017

I replaced everything as per the video and used the permatex aviation form a seal on everything that wasn’t moving. I tried to be meticulous but I’m certainly not a mechanical expert in any respect.

Comment

• Bryan Janeway
          • Jun 2017

My main concern was before a trip last week I hit the bilge pump in the marina and the two cups of bilge pumped was decidedly filmy. The guy that saw who wouldn’t be considered an environmentalist in any respect, still gave me a bit of side eye. Trying to prevent that!!

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

Sometimes oil can migrate along the oil pan and become obvious at some distance from the actual leak. Try expanding your search to include the oil pan gasket, the water pump gasket and the weep hole under it. Also the shifting cross shaft has 2 seals. Clean the area thoroughly, place white paper towels everywhere, and run the engine with the view of checking all possibilities.

Comment

• Bryan Janeway
              • Jun 2017

Thank you. I’ll do that. Much appreciated

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

I once had oil appearing on the oil pan and motor mount on the stb side. After checking everything I found oil dripping out of the aft end of the starter, but further investigation revealed that the oil originated at the fwd main bearing, was slung around the flywheel, picked up by the starter gear, and dribbled through the starter, and exited the starter all the way aft at the bottom without harming the starter, thence it dripped onto the oil pan and tried to fool me into believing it was the accessory drive or the water pump. Don't rule out anything until you are sure.

Comment

Working...
                X