• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Desmond
    Frequent Contributor
    • Feb 2017

Inline cooling water exhaust entry fitting location

My fitting is located at the downside of the elbow bend. Could this have contributed to the location of the rust out? and could it, in the future cause, "Exhaust water reflux"? On this site I found a picture of the exhaust entry placed farther down stream, see pic. What if I placed the entry just above the muffler.
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

It is better to have the injection point a bit further below than the rusted one shown. And probably not as the PO may of used an old nipple that was already rusted a bit. The exhaust as a general rule will rust out about every 5 years or so unless you use stainless steel.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

What are the odds that rusted nipple between the 90 s is a galvanized piece?

Comment

• Desmond
        Frequent Contributor
        • Feb 2017

Dave Neptune Seems like having it higher but not too high is a good idea. I could thread another 4" spacer and a joint then add the bronze fitting. That might keep the incoming water from the neck and minimize the corrosion. The current, rusted out, setup is about 12 years old in salt water. I would like to have the new system last at least as long as that.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Jan 2007

Having the injection point a bit further below the "high spot" will keep some of the spray away and be better for the valves. However it has little to do with the corrosion you see. Whenever you shut down the water will condense in the exhaust no matter what you do and it is mixed with the salts and corrosive elements of the exhaust gasses to. Getting 12 years is really good as the salts depositing at the injection point will usually "plug" the exhaust causing a real hit on performance.
          Be sure to use black pipe or stainless as galvanized will off gas poisonous gasses for quite a while. And from the looks of the corrosion I agree with Hanley that the corroded fitting was probably a galvanized one. Also wrap the hot section all the way to the injection fitting as in the other photo.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Desmond
            Frequent Contributor
            • Feb 2017

Thanks all for the input. I think the corroded part was also black pipe but cannot really tell. Inside the pipe the only real carbon buildup was at the top, elbow bends and the corroded part. At least 1/4 of the internal diameter was filled. Off to Home Depot now for Black Pipe and waiting for new parts from Moyer.

Comment

• Al Schober
              Afourian MVP
              • Jul 2009

Before you go to HD, read the spec on marine exhausts. ABYC Exhaust specs.pdf The spec requires sch 80 pipe and I doubt that's a Home Depot item. Perhaps the nipple that failed wasn't while the rest was?

Comment

• Desmond
                Frequent Contributor
                • Feb 2017

Both HD and Lowes were out of stock. Went to a local plumbing supply store for it all.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Mar 2010

You can avoid the issue by using street 90 s at the top of the section. I see that at least one of the components was "Ward" - a good quality name for marine exhaust.

Comment

• joe_db
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

12 years is really good, I never get that much time myself.
                    Joe Della Barba
                    Coquina
                    C&C 35 MK I
                    Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
                    X