X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skywalker
    • Jan 2012

Anti siphon

I took her out for a spin last night to check on the newly installed water pump. Works like a charm. But wait, what is that? Water leaking? From where?

This time the water is running down the raw water hose. I trace it to the anti siphon fitting. Of course, I have to tear the interior half apart to get to this.

At the top of the fitting is the plastic valve. This fitting was new last year. There is some green corrosion at the base of the fitting, obviously it has weeped in the past. I notice that there is enough water around plug number four the boil up as the engine warms. And what is that? Rust beginning to form on my new plug. I mess around a little with the fitting.

I start the engine again, and...nothing. No leak. Run her for a while. No leak. The dreaded "intermittent" problem.

The valve on the fitting has a small hose barb. Obviously, this is part of the design. I'm guessing the solution is to put a length of hose on the fitting, rout it to the bilge, and move on.

Any other thoughts?

BTW, I have good flow out the tailpipe, she held a steady 160 under load.

Thanks.

Skywalker
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

There is a tiny checkvalve in there that is easily clogged. In your case the clog is holding it open, but it can go the other way. I like adding a "pee hose" like an outboard has for this reason instead of using the anti-siphon valve, but your solution will work to keep water off the engine.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• Skywalker
      • Jan 2012

Thanks for the feedback Joe.

It turns out I'm having a hard time finding 1/8 inch hose.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try a pet/aquarium store.

Skywalker

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

A caution

If attaching a hose to an antisiphon valve to manage the spitting or better yet doing away with the valve entirely and going to a vented loop also with water management hose, the hose must be resistant to kinking when hot. Note that clear vinyl hose will kink readily when heated with engine water.

When the hose kinks it seals itself off. An antisiphon needs to draw air in to work at all and a kinked spittle management hose defeats its function. I used braided fuel hose on my vented loop for just this reason.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Skywalker
          • Jan 2012

Thanks, excellent point.

Chris

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

skywalker...all good ideas above..this is a slippery slope, but a first world problem.

I have seen this anti-siphon valve with both hoses heading off to the bilge, and naked. My vented loop is naked up next to the galley sink, which as high as it can get it without it being in the middle of the boat. I can even hear it breathing at idle if I listen closely. I've never had enough spitting to cause me concern.

Perhaps a very short piece of hose to direct it away from the #4 plug??? Neil's right that any clear non-reinforced hose will buckle under any heat/pressure.
            Last edited by sastanley; 06-13-2014, 10:52 PM.
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• Skywalker
              • Jan 2012

I'm headed to Boston for a fencing tournament, so I'll address this when I get home.

The raw water of my FWC doesn't seem to be much more than warm, so I am surprised by your warnings about using clear hose.

My fitting is dead center of the boat, right up to the bridge deck. Perfect location, which is why plug number four is directly under it!

Given it's location, I should have some options for redirecting, either into the bilge or just aft toward the cutlass/shaft.

Skywalker

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Originally posted by Skywalker View Post
                The raw water of my FWC doesn't seem to be much more than warm, so I am surprised by your warnings about using clear hose.

My fitting is dead center of the boat, right up to the bridge deck. Perfect location, which is why plug number four is directly under it!
                Don't discount the added effect of ambient heat in the area. It's right above #4, the exhaust is therefore directly beneath the A/S and its heat radiates upward into a pocket formed by the bridge deck. Clear vinyl hose gets soft if left in the sunlight so it doesn't take much. Consider too that the A/S orientation is directly upward so the hose must make an abrupt U-turn right there.

Although not part of Sky's original post I'd like to take the opportunity to make a case for scrapping the A/S valve in favor of a vented loop. The advantage of a simple loop is no mechanism to fail.
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California

Comment

• Whippet
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2012

pic?

Hi Neil:

Do you have a photo or sketch of a recommended loop? I'm ok ditching my MMI A/S valve, but want to be clear what I'm replacing with. My water exhaust loop above WL is currently constructed with the 1/2" red MMI heater hose.

thanks much
                  Steve
                  Etobicoke YC, C&C27
                  A4 #204381, 1980

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Here's a drawing and pdf (for zooming and/or printing) of my FWC system. The anti siphon loop and spittle hose are shown.

All you need to do is remove the A/S valve, thread a small hose barb in its place and direct an attached hose (I use 1/4") to where you want the water to go. Mine goes overboard via the galley sink drain. It's the top loop of the spittle hose that's prone to kinking so plan for it.
                    Attached Files
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California

Comment

• Whippet
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2012

thanks

Thanks for sketch, Neil. I dont have access to sink drain but will look to improvise elsewhere.
                      Steve
                      Etobicoke YC, C&C27
                      A4 #204381, 1980

Comment

Working...
                      X