• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amizerin
    • Aug 2019

Do I need to change oil every season?

Greetings!

I have a boat with Atomic 4 that is used very lightly. I usually motor when going in or out the marina. Probably, up to 10 hours a season. I have oil filter installed.

I did not change oil last year before I pulled the boat out of the water. Now the boat is in the water again and the oil looks like it was changed yesterday, light color, no dirt.

So, I'm wondering if I really need to change oil every season.
  • roadnsky
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

In a word... no.
    Some on this forum change their oil at 25 hours and most of us at 50.
    With an oil filter AND only 10 hours or so, AND your report of clean oil appearance... You're good. 😉
    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
    sigpic
    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• amizerin
      • Aug 2019

How about impeller. Does it have to be changed every season?

Comment

• roadnsky
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by amizerin View Post
        How about impeller. Does it have to be changed every season?
        That one is a bit more subjective to answer...
        Are you in fresh water or salt? Do you know how long it's been since it was last changed?
        Most recommendations on changing are between 100-200 hours.
        Again, depends on your usage and environment.

So, with your usage (10'ish hour) if it were my vessel... no, I wouldn't change it.
        I would however, check it for signs of any cracking and it's flexibility.
        -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
        sigpic
        1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

. . . . . however, from the engine's point of view there is no downside to frequent, perhaps unnecessary oil changes. It is one of the easiest, most economic and beneficial things you can do for your engine. Also, if your typical engine operation is short runs like in and out of the slip, that can be hard on the engine internals in terms of lubrication. It's murder for a diesel.

Case in Point
          I have been the only owner of my daily driver truck, a 2004 Chevy Silverado, 5.3L Vortec engine, Z71 4WD and it has received frequent oil changes its entire life. As of this week it has over 495,000 miles on the original engine, has never been apart on the top or lower ends, runs as smooth as silk and doesn't even drip.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Sam
            Afourian MVP
            • Apr 2010

Picking up on Neil's comment I have a 1966 A4 w/o a filter for 43 yrs which has never needed to be rebuilt. I put about 25 -35 hrs per season and change oil with any quality oil 30w or 10w-30 that is on sale. The oil changes are at spring commissioning, mid season and fall layup just after arriving at the dock [engine fogging as well]. I am a believer in clean debris free oil. About $15 and twenty minutes it seems like a good preventative maintenance.

Comment

• romantic comedy
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2007

I would change the oil every season.

Using the engine so little it may not even get to operating temperature. This means that the gas that gets in the oil does not get burned off. Combustion by products contain acids and you really dont want them sitting in the engine for several months.

But, I have started engines that were sitting for years full of oil....

Comment

Working...
              X