• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smosh
    • Apr 2018

Installing Oil Pressure Safety Switch...stuuuuuuck

Hello all -

this is related to my other thread about not starting...but i created a distinct one for future search purposes.

I ordered and received the electric fuel pump conversion kit from Moyer Marine. Started the install today. After some swearing, i removed the old mechanical fuel pump...now i have some room to work.

Trying to remove the brass plug where the OPSS should go. This is toward the back of the motor, above the pressure adjuster. Man, is that brass soft. What is the best way to remove? I've put a nice, wide flat screw bit into a socket, then used a ratchet. It sets in well, but turning the ratchet just begins to chew up the brass. I stopped. I don't want to modify the sending unit behind the flywheel if i don't have to .

Obviously heat is out of the question. i'm thinking i'll buy a 90-degree angled impact driver? Not enough room to use a head-on tool...needs to be an angle. The motor is 45 years old...is it a lost cause to even try?
    Stella Blue - a 1986 O'Day 272 with a Volvo Penta MD7A diesel

former owner of Euphoria - a 1971 Tartan 30 with an Atomic 4
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

Agree, that brass is soft. When I replace those plugs, I use the ones with socket heads.
    In your case, recommend you remove the sender aft of the flywheel and install a HD grease gun hose. On the other end of the hose, build a mini-manifold for the OP sender and the OP safety switch. A couple of Ts, a close nipple, and a plug should do it. Don't forget to run a ground wire to it.

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Here is mine. The one wire alarm sensor is now a 3 wire alarm and OPSS sensor.
      Attached Files
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• CamaroMan
        • Oct 2017

iirc there is a second oil pressure port near the drive side.. by the mech fuel pump - might have a plug in it but i think i used that one last year for an electric conversion.. - why not leave in the brass fitting and add the adapters?

Get 2 female to female, add one between existing and the T to that and the other again between old oil switch and T

Old oil switch - (Female) --- T --- (female) ---- [block]

Comment

• smosh
          • Apr 2018

thanks, all. I ended up using the Moyer Plan B, as outlined in the included instructions. Removed the sender unit (but not the nipple in the block), attached the T, sender unit vertical on the T, OPSS horizontal at the end of the T.

only issue is the T could be seated better. If it's oriented correctly, it's not tight. I didn't want to try to rotate it around again.

just want to get the motor running at this point...i can go back afterward and try to tighten that....

Comment

• roadnsky
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2008

When you can, I'd suggest using a hose and move the whole array over to the bulkhead.
            Takes the weight off of that nipple AND makes everything easier to get to.
            Attached Files
            -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
            sigpic
            1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• smosh
              • Apr 2018

i agree. I will do that sooner rather than later. Auto parts store yesterday didn't have HD hoses, otherwise i was going to pick one up.

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Check around - grease gun hoses seem to be common. Also any local hydraulic shop should be able to make a nice hose for you with NPT fittings. Our local hardware store has a hydraulic hose fabricator guy too.
                Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

• Al Schober
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Jul 2009

BTW, HD=Home Depot.

Comment

Working...
                  X