Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Polls

View Poll Results: So, during the hurricane do you....
Tie her up and hide indoors! 16 94.12%
Take her out and enjoy the ride! 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

#1   IP: 70.177.229.241
Old 08-24-2011, 10:11 PM

Poll for Irene....

Benny wants to take her out so she won't beat herself up on the dock. This obviously means riding out the storm on the boat, in the middle of the river. Now, having been here and lived through Isabel, I understand his concern, but I'm curious what you guys are doing.
Facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/youthstrikesback
  #2   IP: 151.200.57.102
Old 08-24-2011, 10:22 PM
Afourian MVP

Um...boats are replaceable..no matter how much heart & soul (& money) you put into them.

Mine's gonna be tied up at the dock.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
  #3   IP: 107.0.6.242
Old 08-24-2011, 11:04 PM
Afourian MVP

Talking

I have made my decision to bring Destiny to the Lagoon in Vineyard Haven to wait out the weather on anchor. Twenty years ago Edgartown Harbor was destroyed by 111 mph winds and a 5 foot surge. The scope is just too short in most mooring fields. This event will take place at new moon and near perigee and I expect a ten foot surge in Edgartown. The creeks such as the one Shawn is in should be safe from any wind factor but tidal surge could be significant. I saw the water marks on the buildings in Annapolis after Isabel. If you are going to stay on a dock it would be a good idea to put out the longest kedges possible and make sure your boat comes back down onto the same spot from whence she will rise. Edit: I cannot vote on this poll because there is nothing enjoyable about it. Three hurricanes, one on a dock, two on moorings and a tropical storm on the hook and my nerves are shot.

Last edited by hanleyclifford; 08-24-2011 at 11:13 PM.
  #4   IP: 38.102.16.189
Old 08-25-2011, 07:42 AM
MMI Webmaster

What Shawn says, +1.

Rode out the edges of one aboard many years ago.

Never again.

Bill
  #5   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 08-25-2011, 07:45 AM
Afourian MVP

Smile Good luck boys..and prepare as best you can.

I hear ya Hanley. Hurricanes are destructive and this one will be no different. If the right circumstances occur on landfall she might be more destructive, hitting shore at high tide will be disastrous.

You said things that makes allot of sense....

-scope on anchor and/or mooring lines
-kedges in the marinas.
-extra lines and chaffing gear on boat...includes mooring lines...2 to bow cleats then a couple of more back further on the boat so that if the bow's let go the back up lines hold. Good quality line and cloth chaffing gear works well because it will get wet in the storm and keep the heat / friction down on the lines.
-look around and help those that need it so that their boat doesn't become a battering ram.
-head sails, main sails off and stowed below.

This one is not forecast to be a direct hit on us and should be very weak when it makes it this far north. In our marina we have 8x8 posts that will float up from the pipes ... that said, those posts will hold for a while but if there's major wave and wind combination they'll snap like twigs.

I have the ability to pull my boat in less than an hour with my truck and trailer. When I know where it coming ashore, wind direction for my area etc, I will make that call. Last year I stayed in for Hurricane Earl because the winds were from the SE. NW is our vulnerable direction.

I sincerely wish everyone the best and wish I was around to help out the guys that will need it.

I think I clicked TAKE HER OUT AND ENJOY THE RIDE.....I meant take her out of the water.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Last edited by Mo; 08-25-2011 at 07:48 AM.
  #6   IP: 206.125.176.3
Old 08-25-2011, 08:49 AM
Afourian MVP

I am pretty lucky up here Hanley...my boat is the last sailboat in the creek. I have about 75 yards over to the other shore..

The owner of the house where I keep my boat did his hurricane prep yesterday by moving his 'extra' (he owns two) 35'-ish Sea Ray into the boathouse.

I just thought of another interesting statistic. There are ZERO diesel powered boats where my boat is. 6 boats, and they are ALL gas powered.

The property owner said the only issue he's ever had was a tornado that took the roof of the boathouse off and threw it in the middle of the creek, some years back.

I do expect the storm surge to cover the dock (spring tides cover the dock!), so I'll be heading down and doubling up on lines and tying them in different configurations so they don't all chafe at the same rate.

Here's a Google Earth pic (from 2007) of Old House Cove...I am pretty protected..That big boat is the Sea Ray now in the house..a small Mako is up next to the shore.

The big huge Poplar trees in my yard next to my house a couple miles inland are another matter. I am not too worried about the boat...
Attached Images

"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)

Last edited by sastanley; 08-25-2011 at 08:51 AM.
  #7   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 08-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Afourian MVP

Most guys ride out only one Hurricane.

The guys that rode out Hurricane Juan were wishing they didn't before the height of the storm. It was too late to get off and they put in a hellish night. One guy Arthur, had sailed a Cabot 39 around the world and he said he couldn't have done anything at the height of the storm if she let go. Too much wind and she would have been moving too fast. He said he'd never ride out another one on a mooring.

Good looking spot there Shawn.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#8   IP: 206.125.176.3
Old 08-25-2011, 09:03 AM
Afourian MVP

Exclamation

I read a first hand account on Sailing Anarchy from a West Coast guy that was on the other side of the world and got caught in one (I guess they are cyclones or typhoons over there). He had all kinds of ground tackle out, engine running at full ahead (large 45-50'er, a S&S design) and the ground tackle finally failed from chafe...the boat was lost and they 'stepped' off the boat, let the boat go by, and walked ashore with just a couple of scrapes.

Very lucky.

edit - here is a link of the account in Latitude 38. Lat 38 link

Long thread in Sailing Anarchy, but with many comments by the boat owner - here

By the way - if you've never visited SA before..it is very ah..'colorful'...OK, so there, I warned you.

Last edited by sastanley; 08-25-2011 at 09:32 AM. Reason: clean up my story and provide links
  #9   IP: 98.195.155.91
Old 08-25-2011, 12:21 PM

Living in TX, we see them almost every year, and I was here for Ike. We evacuated and had a very nice time in San Antonio. I know 4 people who stayed, 2 on boats. I have no issue with personal freedom, but I have no problem calling out dumb when I see it!

I can tell you I'd NEVER ride one out onboard. Tie her up as best you can, and run! This whole area was devistated by Ike, more boats were lost than anyone can ever count, but the number of lives lost was STUPID! We had a week of warnings, and people still stayed, and many of them died. It was sad.

#10   IP: 148.170.241.1
Old 08-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Afourian MVP

I didn't see anyone suggest HAULING the boat out of the water, block and brace her on land as well as you can?

Mine has been on the hard since January, with all the work I've been doing. I had wanted to get her back in the water by now, but it's just as well I didn't.

I called the boatyard yesterday and they told me they've been busy hauling boats all week and the yard is jam-packed so they can't take anymore.

I've had all the canvas taken down and put below (brand new bimini and dodger) and the boom lashed down with a couple lines.

The forecast I'm seeing is for 80-100 mph winds at the boatyard, so there's only so much I can do. At least there are no trees within reach of my boat, I think.

At my house - yeah, we've got some pretty good-sized trees. I plan on parking my truck out in the cul-de-sac, away from any potential falling trees.

Relentless pursuer of lost causes
  #11   IP: 75.192.98.113
Old 08-26-2011, 09:29 AM
MMI Webmaster

Don just helped us pull our runabout. I've never seen so many commercial crabbers out on the water. I wonder what they know....

Bill
  #12   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 08-26-2011, 09:55 AM
Afourian MVP

Bill,
I guess she is coming right at you guys. That will be some water pushed into the Chesapeake. The crabbers are probably pulling their gear because if they don't it will be gone. Seems to be a big storm so it might last for hours on end. That's the type of thing that changes sand-bar locations and the like.

Looking at it on satellite ...she's a monster. You know, the cold hard fact is that this storm is going to cause damage. Some will be watercraft, houses, business's, flooding and infastructure...an ultimately people may get hurt.

Saftey First...and we all know that Rescue will be called upon heavily in the next couple. They have to go out and like they say ... "don't have to come back".

All the best boys.

**last year Hurricane Earl hit here. Boats were fine but all the power went out for a couple of days. The storm blew through during the afternoon and as darkness fell it was boring...no TV, no lights, only grill to cook on. We went to the boat, had our propane stove, DVD player, lights, beer and rum....noon it was blowing 70+ kts and almost calm by 8pm.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#13   IP: 70.177.229.241
Old 08-26-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
Bill,
I guess she is coming right at you guys.

I'm in Williamsburg, so it should be awesome. I'll be sure to get pics and stuff. Haven't talked to Benny today, so I don't know if he still wants to ride it out or what.
  #14   IP: 75.62.252.39
Old 08-26-2011, 12:33 PM

West Coaster

I have never really thought about what I would do in the event of a storm like this. Being on the West coast and also being about 80 miles inland for the ocean I've never had to worry too much about.

You East coast guys be careful with this one. Remember a boat can be replaced your life cannot.

dvd
  #15   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 08-26-2011, 03:34 PM
Afourian MVP

Wink I hope you don't take offense.

H3,

I know you want to stay on the boat....but I wouldn't unless it's your home. Secure it the best you can on the marina, mooring or anchor. No one can help at the height of the storm if things go for s--t.

The other problem is that other boats and debris may come adrift and take yours with it...it happens. Best thing to do is watch from a safe area if you don't want to stay home and are worried about the boat. Allot can go wrong real fast and you won't be able to deal with most of it whether you are aboard or not...you are just along for the ride at that point until she brings up solid.

I have the adventure spirit too, and am not happy unless there's some sort of challenge...Hind Sight is 20/20....I'm trying to give it to you ahead of time. Whatever you decide I wish you the best because this hurricane is going to distress allot of people.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#16   IP: 70.91.138.225
Old 08-26-2011, 04:07 PM

What Hanley said if you stay in the water. We went up the river yesterday and hauled out at the yard this morning. There are no slips in Marblehead Harbor and that's no place to be anyway. The slips at Palmer Cove in Salem are all being hauled today or tomorrow. We expect a ten foot surge which, on our mooring in Salem Harbor, will either pull the bow under or lift the block. Due to a family illness, we have gone out sailing only twice since we got back from Maine five weeks ago, so we decided to convert the rest of the sailing season to maintenance and haul early.
  #17   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 08-26-2011, 04:42 PM
Afourian MVP

Smile

Mark,
Sorry to hear of the family illness as they take their toll. Good to hear you hauled her out and that is less worry. All the best.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#18   IP: 70.177.229.241
Old 08-26-2011, 10:54 PM

Riding it out in the slip. Got her "battened down" tonight. Going to go until morning, and then make a decision then as to whether to stay or high tail it out. Where we are, I can increase my elevation in less than an 1/8th of a mile, so I feel relatively confident that I can get out in a hurry. I'll keep you guys posted. Everyone stay safe.
  #19   IP: 151.200.57.102
Old 08-26-2011, 11:39 PM
Afourian MVP

H3, you too...as much as I love my boat..it is replaceable.

Stay safe!
  #20   IP: 96.233.116.164
Old 08-27-2011, 06:51 PM

Thanks, Mo. Not to whine about it, but it has put a damper on the summer. Gave us an excuse to wimp out on Irene, though.
  #21   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 08-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Afourian MVP

Smile All the best.

Hey Mark,

No worries Mark, everyone has to go through it....no one escapes it. All you can do is deal with it all best you can. Irene will pass fast, family is more important. I think you made a sound decision.

All the best.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#22   IP: 128.239.45.94
Old 08-28-2011, 11:39 AM

We both survived, all is well with Skimmer. Only had to adjust the lines once. Power is out all over town...will update with pics once computer goes back online. It was a helluva' ride, and we both enjoyed it to the fullest! I hope everyone else here made out as well as we did.
  #23   IP: 72.45.54.12
Old 08-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Afourian MVP Emeritus

I've always been impressed with people who will "ride out the storm" on purpose. These are the same people who jump off the rock at Acapulco or BASE jump or some such.

As a professional risk manager, there are just too many variables and too many ways for a trip through a hurricane to end badly for me to knowingly ride one out.

Besides, if I got swept away, my A-4 would probably survive, but I most likely would not. I have gained too much A-4 knowledge this past year to let that happen. It's just not fair to the rest of mankind.

Watch the hurricane on the Weather Channel, not out your porthole, that's what I'm tawkin' 'bout.
Repowered with MMI A-4 2008
  #24   IP: 70.177.229.241
Old 08-29-2011, 12:47 PM

Funny you mention....We are both skydivers that work at a DZ. No BASE yet though...not enough jobs.

As for the rest....I think being a risk manager is truly the scary thing! I don't think I'd like living my life constantly calculating and assessing the risks of everything.
  #25   IP: 70.91.159.33
Old 08-29-2011, 01:08 PM

No thanks, I love my couch

I saw enough news video on sunday of boats either anchorred or at a mooring getting pounded. Can't imagine ANYONE voluntarily subjecting themselves to that kind of punishment for hours on end and, without a safe way out..

Glad you decided to slip up.

For myself, There's a spool of 5/8" (5000lb) braided nylon line on my shopping list.