X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sdemore
    • Nov 2016

Off The Wall Question

Not an A4 question, but you guys have a lot more expertise than that.

The projects on the project boat are winding down (I'm temporarily catching up??) and I'm trying to get everything together to start more frequent sailing. I have the required safety equipment on the boat and started putting a binder of paperwork together today (I have a Ziploc bag it will fit into). I have a copy of my registration, insurance policy, Tow Boat policy, and Maryland Safety Course completion cards. I'm not planning any international trips and primarily staying inside the Chesapeake Bay.

What other things should I carry?
    Steve Demore
    S/V Doin' It Right
    Pasadena, MD
    sigpic
  • Peter
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2016

Do you have a VHF radio?

If so, are you required to have a license to operate it? (in Canada you are required to have a marine VHF operators licence)

So, I always make sure I have my VHF licence on board.

Peter

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

You mean paperwork or everything??
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• Administrator
        MMI Webmaster
        • Oct 2004

No paperwork is required to operate a marine VHF in the US. Don't use a handheld marine VHF portable on land.

If you have passed a CG Auxiliary courtesy safety inspection, that paperwork will save you some grief, should you ever be boarded by the Coasties. We have been boarded once in a whole bunch of years, down by Shawn's home waters. Very courteous and very thorough, though much of the crew seemed more interested in my wife's bikini than my documentation papers.

I remember a bit of surprise when asked to show two plaques, one dealing with discharge of oil, etc. and I forget the other. Is there a CGA member among us who could clarify? We did have them, but I didn't know they were required.

Oh, one other thing: They "inspected" our dinghy, even though it was bagged in the aft cabin.

Bill

ps: She still looks great in a bikini. My Speedo is in the back of my underwear drawer, permanently stowed.
        Last edited by Administrator; 10-21-2018, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• Easy Rider
          Afourian MVP
          • Feb 2007

ps: She still looks great in a bikini. My Speedo is in the back of my underwear drawer, permanently stowed.

Good thing! (Your Speedo I mean)
          Chuck

71 Ranger 29

Comment

• Administrator
            MMI Webmaster
            • Oct 2004

Chuck, you have NO IDEA.....

Bill

Comment

• Al Schober
              Afourian MVP
              • Jul 2009

The other plaque they were looking for was probably the garbage discharge plaque. No discharge of such and such within so many miles/furlongs/yards of shore.

Comment

• sastanley
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2008

Bill, I have never been boarded here...interesting you were. The other plaque now required is the "trash" one.
                -Shawn
                "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                sigpic

Comment

• sdemore
                  • Nov 2016

I've been told that once I have everything together, I should have the CG Auxiliary do an inspection. When finished, they give a sticker that goes on your mast to show you did it, and that is supposed to help keep the regular Coast Guard inspectors attraction levels down.

And yes, just talking about paperwork. I have books that tell me the legally required things, but not things like Tow Boat insurance rider with the policy and telephone numbers.
                  Steve Demore
                  S/V Doin' It Right
                  Pasadena, MD
                  sigpic

Comment

• joe_db
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by sdemore View Post
                    I've been told that once I have everything together, I should have the CG Auxiliary do an inspection. When finished, they give a sticker that goes on your mast to show you did it, and that is supposed to help keep the regular Coast Guard inspectors attraction levels down.

And yes, just talking about paperwork. I have books that tell me the legally required things, but not things like Tow Boat insurance rider with the policy and telephone numbers.
                    You will find the USCG very uninterested in sailboats. They have only been aboard my boat once, that was after a hurricane when we were stuck with dead batteries (cases cracked in the storm) and a ripped main. They came out and got the main to send ashore for repairs and wrote us up for not having a "don't dump oil" sticker They tried to board us about 300 miles east of Norfolk once at night when we were rail down with a triple-reefed main and storm jib. I got them to go away by mentioning anyone trying to come aboard in winds gusting to 50 was risking their life and maybe a calmer day would be better
                    Joe Della Barba
                    Coquina
                    C&C 35 MK I
                    Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

I carry the USCG Navigation Rules book. I think I'm correct that it is a USCG requirement to have on board for vessels 39 feet and greater but local reports suggest boarding inspections are requiring it regardless of boat length.

And yes, two placards. Oil discharge and trash/dunnage, etc.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	USCG Navigation Rules.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	199016 Click image for larger version

Name:	USCG Placards.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	199017
                      Last edited by ndutton; 10-22-2018, 10:11 AM.
                      Neil
                      1977 Catalina 30
                      San Pedro, California
                      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

Joe Della Barba
                        Coquina
                        C&C 35 MK I