X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

The first picture shows that you have the wrong gasket for your carb. You have a 4 screw carb, and the gasket for a 5 screw carb. And, the carb gasket should need NO sealant. I don't use any, and don't have a weepage problem.
    Previous comment still holds - put it together without a gasket and make sure things come together.

Comment

• Bratina
      • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Al Schober View Post
      The first picture shows that you have the wrong gasket for your carb. You have a 4 screw carb, and the gasket for a 5 screw carb. And, the carb gasket should need NO sealant. I don't use any, and don't have a weepage problem.
      Previous comment still holds - put it together without a gasket and make sure things come together.
      I believe that 5-bolt and 4-bolt carbs use the same gasket, per a note from Don / others. The old and new model carbs DO use a different gasket because they're entirely different shapes, but otherwise the 5-bolt gasket fits a 4-bolt carb just fine (e.g. the 5-bolt gasket in my 4-bolt carb).

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

Look at those beautiful street fittings (from Moyer Marine, I'll warrant).

Comment

• Jimmy
          • Aug 2011

Yup, got the fittings with the rebuild kit. Other than the deflated Canadian dollar, my other issue with ordering from MM is the time it takes to get goods north of the boarder. Neither of these issues are within the control of our Host, and I value this forum, and MM's ability to supply parts, so whenever feasible, I support them. Usually 1 significant shipment a year, of required parts, and a couple miscellaneous parts as I continue to build a reasonable spare part collection.
          To this point, I won't get a new carb gaskets in time for Friday nights redo.... After making sure the float is correct, and halves are flush, I can choose to reuse the 3 week old gasket, or attempt to cut a new one from a template.
          Which would you do, faced with these two options?

Cheers,
          Jimmy
          sigpic
          Jimmy
          C&C 29 MK1
          Erieau , Lake Erie

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

I would attempt to reuse the old gasket. Hopefully you've been careful making sure it does not get torn when separating halves and getting that venturi out. On the 4 screw carb it's real important to get the two pieces plane for a tight fit. If it doesn't look good don't be shy about taking a flat bastard to one piece or the other. Check first with something known to be straight, like a stainless ruler or a square.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
              • Jan 2007

Trix

Jimmy, if you are successful at getting the gasket out unscathed try this it's worked for me 100's of times on carb gaskets. First carefully wipe it clean and dry, then spray liberally with WD-40 and place in a sealed baggy. Get as much air out of the baggie as you can so the gasket stays wet and set it in the sun or someplace warm for at least an hour. The gasket as it warms will suck u some of the WD-40 and swell up a bit so it can be squished yet again.

DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE SCREWS, it just takes a slight pressure if things are flat!

Dave Neptune

Comment

Working...
              X