X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickal
    • Jan 2008

New Raw Water Pump Check

I just installed a new Moyer 502 raw water pump on my early model A-4 in my Ericson 30. It is not drawing water from a bucket. I will disconnect the exit hose from the pump and see if any water comes through the pump to a bucket. Can anyone suggest another way to test the pump? If the pump is correctly installed and still not pumping water what are my next steps?
    Is it possible that the pump shaft is not properly engaging in the engine? Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Often a pump will have trouble drawing from a bucket, even a good one. Try elevating the bucket into the cockpit higher than the engine. When I run my A4 on the hard I use a garden hose plumbed directly to the thru hull from outside the hull via an NPT connection. This is generally frowned upon here, and for good reason; but if you are careful and obsessive/compulsive about pressure limiting and shutoff protocols you can get away with it.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Nov 2008

Maybe all it needs is a prime.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• rickal
        • Jan 2008

What is the best way to be sure the pump is primed? I will but the bucket in the cockpit on the next try. TIA.

Comment

• brewgyver
          • Jun 2014

The best way to tell if the pump is primed is to look at your stern for water!
          Seriously, if it's primed, and you don't see water coming out the exhaust, stop, because you may have a serious leak and filling the bilge.

Comment

• Easy Rider
            Afourian MVP
            • Feb 2007

If you have a water strainer between the raw water intake and the pump and if it's empty you may need to add water to the strainer to help get things started.
            Chuck

71 Ranger 29

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by rickal View Post
              What is the best way to be sure the pump is primed? .
              Here's what I do:
              Attach a length of hose to the pump inlet and support it in an upright position. Pour the hose full of water. A paper cup pressed in at the top to form a spout works good for this. Bump the starter or turn the engine a little bit with a hand crank. Fill the hose up and do it again. Fill the hose one more time, put your thumb over the end so you loose as little water as possible and put it on the strainer or inlet barb* from the boat and clamp it down.
              Works every time for me.

TRUE GRIT

*Edit: Or put it in the bucket.
              Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 07-12-2015, 12:36 AM.

Comment

• rickal
                • Jan 2008

Thanks John, I will give the prime procedure a try today.

Comment

Working...
                X