Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Interest

#1   IP: 68.114.124.144
Old 03-22-2019, 09:31 AM

Moving the A4 dash

So I was thinking about moving the dash with the gauges for the A4 to the side of the companionway under the compass. That way I could sit on the starboard side by the controls, hand on the tiller, and see the compass, chart plotter, and A4 dash from that position. Having the dash under the starboard lazz seems out of the way. It would be like having your car dash on the side of the shift console. Has anyone ever thought of this, or done it? Does it make sense? I am open to any thoughts or opinions on this placement.
  #2   IP: 32.211.28.40
Old 03-22-2019, 09:35 AM
Afourian MVP

Improving visibility is a good thing. My gauges were in a locker and the lid had to be open to see the gauges! However, be careful of getting the ammeter cables too close to the compass.
  #3   IP: 64.62.192.42
Old 03-22-2019, 01:36 PM

I thought of doing that for a while. In the end, I put it just around the corner, on the inside of the companionway, out of the weather. It's viewable there while standing over the engine or by looking through the hatch from the cockpit. Also I added the EWDS from this site, with audible alarms, which gives a sense of reassurance when the gauges aren't in line-of-sight.

My electric sailing instruments are on the port bulkhead (and the magnetic compass on the starboard) and while that's OK when sitting there motoring on an even keel, they are invisible when on starboard tack. I ran aground once because I couldn't see the depth gauge over on the other side. In the long term, I'm thinking of moving them to the center-line. Probably to a pod above the sea hood. Also, those builkheads are prime backrests for cockpit lounging. And the space gets pretty busy with spinnaker control lines & such draped over it.

Some boats have the engine panel below the companionway, in the bridge deck, which also seems handy, though possibly subject to flooding. I've seen one installation where they replaced the lowest hatch board with an instrument pod. Although in the long-term plan, I might move the magnetic compass to that "low side" of the companionway, to separate it from the electrics.