Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Interest

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   IP: 155.225.81.6
Old 10-30-2018, 02:27 PM

Hand crank vs. battery

My boat ('76 C&C 33) was hijacked by a crappy yard for 2 yrs and the engine has not been started. I am nearing getting her back in the water. I will probably have to buy new batteries but in the meantime, can I hand crank my A4 to get her started? It is a v-drive so I would have to get down in the bilge under the cockpit but there is enough swing room down there. Is there anything unsafe about this aside from breaking my thumb if I don't keep it on the same side as my fingers? (I've searched the topic)
I am loath to haul TWO batteries on board while she is in the yard just to have either or both run down trying to start the engine. (I am replacing fuel lines, have cleaned the fuel tank, replaced all filters, emptied the carb, etc., to remove as much gunk as possible. I would also like to acid flush the cooling system while out of the water) When I have worked on the carb in the past, it took a LOOOOONG time for it to start, even with the primer bulb installed, starting fluid in the throat, etc.
Any advice appreciated - I am majorly nervous about getting Jenny back up and running.
Chas., SC