X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • idreamOfSailing
    • Jun 2018

Exchanging Accessory Drive How-To Needed

I have read in a separate thread that a grinding metal-on-metal sound when in neutral or in forward at low RPM is likely the Accessory drive on its way out. I can't think what else it might be as the engine otherwise functions fine (touch wood). So I am looking at ordering the part from Moyer and doing the job myself over the winter layover on the hard. I'm a bit of a do-it-yourself type so don't mind the work and I'll learn something along the way. But, I also know when I don't know, so I'm asking for direction. To avoid a huge F-up, what do I need to know when swapping this out? Once off, does the new drive simply slip in the same way the old out came out, do I need to make note of how shafts are aligned, or how the distributor works into this or anything else? BTW, I have electronic ignition and distribution, so does that make a difference? Thanks All.
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

It is imperative you read this post:

Post back if you have any questions.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• idreamOfSailing
      • Jun 2018

Thanks Neil, that's very information. However I am not removing the distributor per se but rather the accessory drive. My concern is really around when removing the accessory drive are there any connections within it governing the distributor in some fashion that I need to ensure are aligned the same way when installing the new accessory drive. If there are and you know, I'd appreciate the knowledge transfer. Cheers.

Comment

• roadnsky
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by idreamOfSailing View Post
        ...I am not removing the distributor per se but rather the accessory drive.
        I did this swap out years ago. I'm a little fuzzy on the exact details.
        BUT, Neil is correct. Read the post he linked for you.
        You WILL have to remove the distro to R&R the AD.
        The important detail is to get the dizzy orientation re-installed correctly.

IIRC you'll have to turn the pulley on the AD slightly to get the gears to align with the water pump and crank gear. (See pic)
        I don't remember that being really difficult.
        HOWEVER, you do NOT want to turn the engine even the slightest while the AD is out or you've caused yourself a timing issue.
        In the last pic, you can just make out the gear that the dizzy needs to align with in the AD hole.
        (Someone correct me if I'm mis-rembering here)

Do you already have the new" AD?
        I would strongly suggest calling Ken at MMI and he could easily talk you thru this better than I am...
        Attached Files
        -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
        sigpic
        1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

Too bad I can't double thanks Jerry's and Neil's posts. So I'll just do it here with text.
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• idreamOfSailing
            • Jun 2018

Accessory Drive replacement

Thank you all. I'm a bit flummoxed though as to why I need to remove the Distributor when it doesn't seem directly connected to the AD. I was thinking at most to need to be careful when removing the AD in case there is an indirect link in it to the Distributor. Seems more complicated then I initially imagined. Are there instructions anywhere from start-to-finish?

Comment

• zellerj
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2005

Thank you all. I'm a bit flummoxed though as to why I need to remove the Distributor when it doesn't seem directly connected to the AD. I was thinking at most to need to be careful when removing the AD in case there is an indirect link in it to the Distributor. Seems more complicated then I initially imagined. Are there instructions anywhere from start-to-finish?

The dizzy goes in the hole shown on picture number 2 of Jerry's post so it needs to be removed but not before the orientation of the rotor is noted in accordance with the excellent instructions and warnings found in Neil's post. Once removed, the AD can be removed. The dizzy runs off a gear on the crank shaft (crank shaft timing gear), it does not run off of the AD gear. As long as you don't have any timing marks on the pulley (some do) there is symmetry and no special orientation is needed with the AD. If you do have a timing mark on the pulley, you need to put it back in with the same orientation as you took it out.
              Jim Zeller
              1982 Catalina 30
              Kelleys Island, Ohio

Comment

• idreamOfSailing
                • Jun 2018

Okay, I'm beginning to get the picture. Enough questions then, it's time to get my hands dirty. Thanks again everyone.

Comment

• tac
                  • Nov 2015

Accessory Drive Exchange

I’ve been patiently waiting for someone to reference this gem from the Support/Tech Tip section of the Moyer site:

This, plus the FAQs, and other sections, like the instructions for all the kits, as well as using the Search function of this forum, can bring Fast, Fast Relief!

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by zellerj View Post
                    The dizzy runs off a gear on the crank shaft (crank shaft timing gear), it does not run off of the AD gear.
                    Please check this statement.

Studying the attached picture and Figure 1 on page 5-1 of your Moyer Manual you'll see the accessory drive gear meshes with an idler gear off of the crankshaft gear. The distributor is driven off the slant tooth gear within the accessory drive.

As stated by others, the distributor mounts into the accessory drive so it will have to be transferred from the old drive to the new one at which time the timing advisement comes into play.
                    Attached Files
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California
                    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• idreamOfSailing
                      • Jun 2018

First things first

Hmm, thanks all, just caught up with the readings. So to start I need to remove the distributor...now how exactly is that done, particularly what bolts hold it in place, and are there detailed instructions anywhere?

Comment

• joe_db
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

Hmm, thanks all, just caught up with the readings. So to start I need to remove the distributor...now how exactly is that done, particularly what bolts hold it in place, and are there detailed instructions anywhere?
                        There is one bolt that holds it on. I always mess up the timing, so maybe someone will post a way to put it back correctly.
                        Joe Della Barba
                        Coquina
                        C&C 35 MK I
                        Maryland USA

Comment

• idreamOfSailing
                          • Jun 2018

It must be that one bolt at about the 12 o'clock position if looking at the AD facing aft.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• roadnsky
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Dec 2008

It must be that one bolt at about the 12 o'clock position if looking at the AD facing aft.
                            That is correct.
                            Attached Files
                            -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                            sigpic
                            1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• idreamOfSailing
                              • Jun 2018

Thanks for confirming. It is starting to make sense now and doesn't seem as daunting as at first blush. So it's removing the distributor first, then maybe the water pump to get at the bolts for the AD, then reverse order to replace the lot. It's probably easier though if I remove the spark-plug wires first before lifting out the Distributor. Any other tidbits of lessons learned would be appreciated. Also, where's the thingy I need to mark the position of so I don't upset the timing when replacing the distributor?

Comment

Working...
                              X