X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jesse Delanoy
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2006

Oriental NC is a good place - it's a sailing mecca. I was on a cruise years ago when I developed a water problem and discovered a bad bearing in my A4. Fortunately, we were at Solomons, MD, which is another sailing mecca. We parked the boat at Zahniser's yacht yard, and ordered a Moyer rebuilt engine to be shipped down and installed. We took land transportation home. They had the boat for 2 weeks, and the whole thing was done. I'm sure you can get similar service in Oriental, although maybe not that fast this time of year. Consider the cost and time of replacing with a Moyer engine against the cost and time involved in pulling your engine and having it rebuilt.

Comment

• Sony2000
      • Dec 2011

Salt water pierced one cylinder, so the others aren't far behind.
      Changing the block for $650 (Ebay) requires new rings on the pistons, and gaskets galore.
      Ebay has a good working engine in N.H. for $500 to $1000 plus shipping. No gaskets! Put in a bid.
      Shop for a used engine near the sailboat. Someone may have ''partially'' rebuilt one over the winter, and will sell it installed or not.
      These suggestions are at the lower price levels. Just match the repowering to the value of the boat it is giong into.
      Last edited by Sony2000; 04-02-2012, 12:15 PM.

Comment

• PT26
        • Mar 2012

Off to scout out and start looking for a new engine or block, whatever wight be available in the area. Looks like I'll be here for a little bit getting things together, but if I had to be broken down somewhere this is definitely the place I would want it to happen. Everyone is so helpful and friendly!

Paul
        Paul
        S/V PT26
        1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

"The Devil never comes to you with a pitchfork and a ball of fire"

Comment

• jhwelch
          • Dec 2005

I had an engine problem once and managed to get to Oriental where I rented a car and drove the engine up to PA where the Amish person who does the A4 rebuilds fixed my issue that afternoon (I needed a new reversing gear installed). The local boat yard was too busy to get to help in a timely fashion with the repair, but they did pull the boat out and a day or so later hoisted out the motor once I had disconnected everything.

You'll want to find a balance between how much time you want to be stuck vs. how much money you want to spend getting a replacement motor.

-Jonathan

Comment

• positron
            • Sep 2011

I pulled the smelly old head out of my boat this weekend. I opened this thread hoping to find someone to commiserate with, but in comparison my toilet woes don't seem so bad anymore...

Comment

• PT26
              • Mar 2012

At this point I wish a stinky old toilet was the issue LOL

In my searches today, I'm going to look at a complete motor that's for sale (to the right person) about 50 miles from here. It's an "early model" not a "late model" and I'm not sure what I should look for to tell what version this motor is.

But it is completely rebuilt motor with everything including the heat exchanger and extra parts, it's a "take it all" situation.

Paul
              Paul
              S/V PT26
              1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

Comment

• marthur
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2004

A rebuilt engine sounds like a real deal. I hope it works out for you.

The easiest to spot difference between early and later model motors is the thermostat location. The early model has a cross over tube instead of the T-stat housing. The fly wheel cover on the latest model motors is sheet metal instead of cast iron and the oil fill is above the flywheel. There are a few other cosmetic differences, like the shape of the transmission cover.

Some important differences for you when going forward are: distributor, starter, carb, t-stat and gaskets. The distributor and starters on the early models are prestolite (not delco). You can use the late model parts with minor modifications (e.g. you must use a different flywheel with the delco starter and modify the flywheel cover. The distributor hold down is slightly different). Prestolite distributors are smaller with the condenser on the outside of the distributor cap. The Carb on the early models was cast iron not aluminum and requires different rebuild parts. You can use either carb with either engine. Thermostats are completely different for early and late model motors. With different parts, you would need different gaskets so be aware when you order.

To make life more interesting, lots of motors have a combination of early and late parts. This is partly because changes were gradual and partly because owners could and sometimes did put later parts on earlier engines. My own motors are 1. late model entirely 2. Early model with some late parts and 3. Partialy disassembled : )

Speaking of number 3, too bad we are not closer, I have spare block up here in Michigan with some bad internal parts. You have working internals with a bad block....

Good luck, Mike
                Last edited by marthur; 04-02-2012, 07:49 PM.
                Mike

Comment

• PT26
                  • Mar 2012

Hi, Thanks for the info.

One just came up for sale here on the forum.
                  It is not to far to drive and go buy it so it looks like This one is better than the other I looked at today.
                  I called John and am in the process of finding a rental car to go get it.

Things may just work out fine

Paul
                  Paul
                  S/V PT26
                  1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

Comment

• Ajax
                    • Jul 2011

I was hoping you'd see that ad pop up! Good luck!

Comment

• sastanley
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2008

PT26,

Check this out at Moyer's website...http://moyermarine.com/faq/11.14.html

That FAQ will give you things to look for to tell early or late model.

The casting date of the block is a 6 digit number stamped into the block just aft of the typical oil pressure sending unit location & just under the valve cover. It is partially hidden by the carb, unless you look at the correct angle.

Mine is 041976 (April 19, 1976) - You can see it just above the flame arrestor in this dark pic.

-Shawn
                      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                      sigpic

Comment

• ILikeRust
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Sep 2010

Hey, I'm in Hilton Head, SC right now. I just checked the local area Craig's list and found this:

Charleston is about 6 hours from Oriental.

Then there's this one: http://charleston.craigslist.org/boa/2908261726.html

No indication of location, though.

And this one: http://charleston.craigslist.org/for/2907209533.html - which might actually be the same one, for all the information not given.

Let me know if I might be able to help - I'm driving my pickup, so if I might be able to pick up an engine for you and meet you on the way back up 95 to Richmond, I'd be glad to help.

Give me a call on my cell if you want - 804 - 914 - 3241.
                        - Bill T.
                        - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• PT26
                          • Mar 2012

I sent a message to them and await a reply just to see what they have.

That's awesome you would offer to help us thanks!

I have found one here in oriental and have done a handshake to buy it when he returns from his Easter trip today. He is a machinist, Worked on A4's for years but I have to buy and take all the A4 parts (boxes) he is retired now. So I will let everyone know what the leftovers are as they will not fit on the boat.

All the best
                          Paul
                          Paul
                          S/V PT26
                          1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by PT26 View Post
                            I sent a message to them and await a reply just to see what they have.

That's awesome you would offer to help us thanks!

I have found one here in oriental and have done a handshake to buy it when he returns from his Easter trip today. He is a machinist, Worked on A4's for years but I have to buy and take all the A4 parts (boxes) he is retired now. So I will let everyone know what the leftovers are as they will not fit on the boat.

All the best
                            Paul
                            Don't worry about the "space on the boat" issue. I can help with that too!

Comment

• PT26
                              • Mar 2012

Hi Hanley,

I figured that you may want to look through the boxes with me LOL

When poking around I saw some vintage pieces that were new

Will add photos later this week when I pick it up.

All the best
                              Paul
                              S/V PT26
                              1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

Comment

• Marian Claire
                                Afourian MVP
                                • Aug 2007

PT: Thanks for the PM about the early model. I am tring to change my plans and stay in the area for a few days longer and should be somewhat free after tomorrow AM. If there is a spacific time you need help let me know. Otherwise I will drop by if that is OK.
                                HC. I promise not to take all the good parts.
                                Dan S/V Marian Claire
                                PS: It was rocking on the Neuse yesterday AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X