• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tevolk
    Frequent Contributor
    • Aug 2008

Shift cable routing problem

I have a shift cable routing problem in that when I bought my Columbia 30 they had abandoned the pedestal shifter after the cable froze and they couldn't disassemble the pedestal to remove the cable. They installed another shifter down low in the cockpit (far from convenient). After many hours of tedious labor I was able to get the pedestal apart and install a new cable, got everything hooked back up then realized that when the shift lever (on pedestal) is pushed forward the v-drive is in reverse and back is forward. The only way that would correct this would be to use the lower holes in the shift lever on the Vdrive, where as now the cable is connected to an extension bolted to the upper holes on the vdrive shift lever. Sounds like a plan but there is no straight route for the cable as numerous parts interfere including the motor mount. See picture how cable is attached.

How did Columbia originally handle this? It could be a safety issue for someone thinking pushing the lever on pedestal forward makes the boat go forward.

Any input is appreciated.
    Attached Files
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Routing cable?

tevolk, perhaps since routing to the bottom of the shift lever is problimatic and having the cable higher out of the bilge would be better anyway why not just use a longer cable and come in from the other end? Wouldn't that accomplish the same thing?

Dave Neptune

Comment

• tevolk
      Frequent Contributor
      • Aug 2008

Unfortunately the companion way molded stairs/engine cover goes over that end of the engine and when shifted into reverse the lever on the Vdrive is within inches of the back side of the cover.

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Tevolk,

Any chance of fabricating a robust bell crank near the flywheel end of the engine? This device can reverse the cable travel. You'll need 2 cables and they'll both be shorter.

Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Jan 2007

A bell crank!

Tevolk, Niel is onto a good idea. All you would need is a 50-50 fulcrum or bell crank mounted anywhere you have the room. There are various cable supply companies around and they should have a stocked item that would work fine. It would just need to be robust enough to work the detent in forward.
          If that won't work there are also many master slave clutch actuators in the automotive after market. I have adapted a couple my self for modified applications. They are very reliable and can be mounted almost anywhere and the lines can be run easily.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• tevolk
            Frequent Contributor
            • Aug 2008

I like the ideas I will take a look at location and actually if I can get a straight shot from the fulcrum I may be able to keep existing cable and use a stainless steel rod (all thread) 5/16"-3/8" for the fulcrum to vdriver lever connection.

Comment

Working...
            X