• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ANetzer
    • Jul 2006

Electronic ignition

Need your help.

I just recently installed the electronic ignition kit I purchased from your parts store. Thanks.

I installed it and the engine fired right up first try and appeared to be working great.

However, I took the boat out today (I have a 27 ft Erickson, 1974) and while it starts great, I could not accelerate the engine above 1100 RPM while in forward.

I went back to to the dock and tied up and tried again. In neutral, the engine runs great, smothly accelerates to above 2500 RPM and runs great. But in forward, it accelerates smoothly to 1100 RPM, but as you continue to move the throttle forward, the engine does not increase power or RPM, just continues to run. It would appear it can not take the additional load being in gear. I swam under the boat and the prop rotated easily when in neutral.

I did not reset the timing before or after installing the new ignition; could that be the problem?

Prior to installing the new electronic ignition, the engine easily pushed boat at 5.5kts at 1400 RPM.

Thanks for your help

Allan
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Allan,

Before taking any other action, I would definitely retime the ignition system under load at your highest available power setting. You simply loosen the distributor hold-down bracket and slowly rotate the distributor a small amount in each direction looking for the highest RPM. You could easily gain back the RPM you lost if your advance mechanism is not giving you the best advance.

Don

Comment

Working...
    X