• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lat 64
    Afourian MVP
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Lenzcap View Post
    ….He said it starts but lack HP…...

This is the telling statement. If it starts and runs without too much smoke, then the rest is just deferred maintenance. yes it will be a bit of tlc, but a re-power is a complete modification sometimes.

Perhaps a reputable surveyor can help assess it.

If you are will to hire yourself as expeditor, then this forum can get the right info in your hands.
    The gang here boasts a great expertise from long-term maintenance to helping design new accessories for the A-4.
    Got any photos?

Welcome

Russ
    sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• Lenzcap
      Frequent Contributor
      • Aug 2014

If I buy the boat I'll get to know the engine before going anywhere.

The boat's for sale on the dock and I believe we can work out a fine deal. If a mechanic could get the engine going and confirm my opinion that's it's got life. I'm not gonna sit around in someones boat with my laptop ripping his engine apart when he's trying to sell his boat. "Wait man, one more day please, I almost have the head off, wait, what, what's this thing do (type type type)"

He'll do the experienced mechanic thing. It's reasonable.

I definitely won't be buying it, taking it to the yard in a blow in November and ripping it apart to see if there's sht below the crap. But that's just me. I don't ever buy the dollar grab bags at the corner store either. You're most likely to get 55 cents worth of stale candies.

Or a little rubber dinosaur or something. I hate that!

Comment

• Mo
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2007

Lenzcap,
        Why don't you take a digital camera and take a few pics of the boat. I think I could tell you what type she is and know the attributes and things to watch for with many. I've been playing with boats as a hobby for about 15 years now and pretty much retired these days...no one tells me where to be anymore. Was a physician assistant and paramedic for 30 yrs but always was in the garage puttering (since about 15 yrs old) or sailing (past 15) when not working.

Get some pics of:
        - the engine:
        - the exhaust portion coming off the engine.
        - decks and where the
        - interior
        - electrical panels

If the boat hasn't been used for a while that puts it in a less favorable venue for resale. "I haven't used it much" generally means everything will need tending to in the marine environment. Find out how long it's been in the water and if it comes out every year as well. Find out the year and make if possible but I can guess pretty much from a pic the year...most boats had subtle changes as the design evolved.

You can send me a private email with this if you feel more comfortable and I won't mind telling you what I think.
        Mo

"Odyssey"
        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
        The optimist expects it to change.
        The realist adjusts the sails.
        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Lenzcap
          Frequent Contributor
          • Aug 2014

I know what kind of boat it is. I don't know what is being read into this. I just needed a mechanic. Thanks for all the help guys. Still no mechanic. I'm pulling out.

It's an old Cal29. The seller has had health problem. He's the second owner and pride of ownership is evident. The rest of the boat's immaculate but he can't find anyone willing to look at the engine. Either can I. I'm out. If anyone wants a deal and knows the a4 it's in Oak Bay. Or pm me and I'll put you in touch with the seller. Might already be gone though. Not sure.

Thanks again

Comment

• Mo
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Lenzcap View Post
            I know what kind of boat it is. I don't know what is being read into this. I just needed a mechanic. Thanks for all the help guys. Still no mechanic. I'm pulling out.

It's an old Cal29. The seller has had health problem. He's the second owner and pride of ownership is evident. The rest of the boat's immaculate but he can't find anyone willing to look at the engine. Either can I. I'm out. If anyone wants a deal and knows the a4 it's in Oak Bay. Or pm me and I'll put you in touch with the seller. Might already be gone though. Not sure.

Thanks again
            You know what, if the boat is in decent shape you might want to reconsider. Valve issues generally require removing the head, purchase two head gaskets, remove, clean and reseat valves...any guy that works on motorcycles etc would know exactly what to do with it. You need someone who can tinker. Try an add on kijiji and see what you come up with. You never know who's worked on these.
            Mo

"Odyssey"
            1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
            The optimist expects it to change.
            The realist adjusts the sails.
            ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• kiskadee
              • Aug 2011

A-4 Mechanic near Victoria BC

Lenzcap,
              You're an hour from Canada's best Atomic 4 mechanic. (Sorry Mo, you're second best.)
              Robert Hess lives in Nanaimo and for twenty years he owned Atomic 4 Engine Service in Delta BC. He now works at Nanaimo Yacht Services, 250-716-9065. If Robert Hess can't fix it, then it can't be fixed.
              Cheers,
              Dana, S/V Kiskadee, CFSA Esquimalt

Comment

• Marty Levenson
                • Nov 2004

Hess

Second that....he is a legend. Thought he was retired when he left Delta: very glad to know where to find him.
                Marty
                1967 Tartan 27
                Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

• Easy Rider
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Feb 2007

Robert Hess was, or is one of the best. The last I heard he had packed it at his Delta location and moved to Toronto and was working for one of the diesel guys.
                  Chuck

71 Ranger 29

Comment

Working...
                  X