• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • romantic comedy
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

FB A4 group has engine for sale

There is a FB group for Atomic Four engines.
    I keep telling the guys to come here, but you know FB.....

Anyway, there is a guy selling a "rebuilt" atomic four.

Just passing the info. I think he wants 2500 and is in SC.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

I just wish we could all be on one site......
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

I can't afford to be on Facebook. Having to take the computer outside, burn it, and bury the ashes in an unmarked grave after every time I access it adds up after awhile.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• edwardc
      Afourian MVP
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
      ... but you know FB.....
      No, I don't.

"Just say NO."
      @(^.^)@ Ed
      1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
      with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Al Schober
        Afourian MVP
        • Jul 2009

I've seen and posted to the FB A4 site - don't like it. I think what I'll do is write up a standard blurb (save it to my desktop) to direct the FB folks to the Moyer site. Perhaps we can spray them with something to get the FB stink off them - after that they should be fine.

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

I'm not a Facebook guy either but there is a pretty active Catalina 30 FB group so about three years ago I joined under a pseudonym, Poopdeck Pappy. I watched the group's postings to get a feel for what they were about and a few months ago started participating. The recent V rudder thread here was a product of the FB C30 group.

A week ago I received a message from FB that my pseudonym was not acceptable, either I change to my real name - - and prove it with a government issued I.D. - - or else they would deny any attempts to log in. I had 7 days. Well, today was the day, log ins fail and return the same message to change my FB name. Fat chance of that.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• rickandlee
            • Nov 2016

Be careful of group think, at least that's what we called it back in the 90s.

I wonder what the average age of Moyerites are vs Facebookers. Some of the kids (less than 50) on the FB site have know idea how old school forums work and probably don't like the work required to get a picture up or share something. Just imagine a 30 year old on a yahoo group. Remember those.

Anyway I'm in both places. One trick with FB is to have an account with no friends, have ad blockers, flash control, etc, (can any of you i people have these things ) to access group FB accounts. And never send a message via FB.

This forum is much easier to search and has a much larger wealth of knowledge but there is some interesting things on the FB site also. Try it, if your not satisfied in 30 days I'll refund your money.

Damn, Google just figured out I'm on the Moyer forum right now. Plus the NSA has been monitoring me since I got some letters confused sending BobM a message.

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

What is this Facebook you all keep speaking of?!??!
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
                What is this Facebook you all keep speaking of?!??!
                Here is the one I mentioned:
                Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California

Comment

• sdemore
                  • Nov 2016

I went in and looked at the Facebook group that you guys were talking about. One of the common things I saw was complaining about the prices shopping here. I don't like marine prices either, but doesn't that kind of go with being a boat owner? Boats need better quality than ACE Hardware parts and they cost more.
                  Steve Demore
                  S/V Doin' It Right
                  Pasadena, MD
                  sigpic

Comment

• lat 64
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Oct 2008

My wife won't let me do facebook. Says I'm not mature enough. Perhaps when I get older she'll reconsider.
                    sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• edwardc
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by sdemore View Post
                      I went in and looked at the Facebook group that you guys were talking about. One of the common things I saw was complaining about the prices shopping here. I don't like marine prices either, but doesn't that kind of go with being a boat owner? Boats need better quality than ACE Hardware parts and they cost more.
                      Long ago, when I had purchased my first sailboat (a San Juan 21) and was bemoaning the high cost of parts and services, an older relative (and sailboat owner) explained it to me. He said "Ed, you're a Yacht owner now, and they don't want to embarrass you by presenting you with a small bill."
                      @(^.^)@ Ed
                      1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                      with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• joe_db
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

I assume you all know about Facebook selling access to all your private messages, right?
                        Joe Della Barba
                        Coquina
                        C&C 35 MK I
                        Maryland USA

Comment

• sdemore
                          • Nov 2016

Facebook is like the lottery. On Facebook, don't post anything you want to keep private. On the lottery, don't spend any money you can't afford to lose.
                          Steve Demore
                          S/V Doin' It Right
                          Pasadena, MD
                          sigpic

Comment

• sastanley
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Sep 2008

lat64, You and I (and Neil) might be the last three people in the world without FB accounts. I am sidetracked enough, I don't need it.

However, my wife is on a Catalina 30 FB group, and it might even be the one Neil references, and she is always showing me some crazy stuff...Once in a while I have some wisdom to pass down thru her, but I never go there myself.
                            -Shawn
                            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                            sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2009

As I said, I wasn't a FB guy before, won't miss it now. According to FB, for them to allow me to log on (after three years of zero issues I might add) I am now being required to edit my FB name to the name I use personally every day and provide documentation to prove it. They even gave me a list of acceptable documents that includes a bank statement, a check, my Social Security card, a photo I.D., a professional license, college degree, credit card bill, etc. Maybe they'd like a copy of a recent colonoscopy too.

Yeah, like I'm going to provide any of that to an internet social media company already in dutch for security breaches and known for selling off such information.

About the C30 FB Group, at least the one I know, they started up to rid themselves of the problems that had developed on the old Yahoo forum. One of the founders invited me to join explaining that certain problem members from Yahoo would never be granted membership. They held true to their word but dock/internet expert problems have crept into their group anyway. Again, I won't miss that in the least.

Thank goodness for Moyer Marine.
                              Neil
                              1977 Catalina 30
                              San Pedro, California

Comment

Working...
                              X