Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Safety

#1   IP: 24.20.144.41
Old 11-29-2007, 11:34 AM

Temporary protection from freezing

I plan on using my boat sporadically throughout the winter. The temperatures in my area drop below freezing only a handful of times in the winter.
Last year I simply shut off the raw water through hull and took off the upper drain plug on the motor to drain the water out of the block.
Whenever I wanted to use the boat, I would simply put the drain tube cap back on and open the raw water intake prior to starting the engine. When I arrived back at the dock, I simply took the drain tube cap off and closed the raw water seacock again.
Is this an acceptable method of winterizing?
  #2   IP: 38.118.52.41
Old 11-29-2007, 03:43 PM

Your procedure takes care of the block but not the manifold. See if you can get water to drain out of the manifold when you remove the 1/8" pipe plug at the back of the manifold.

Don
  #3   IP: 71.102.151.209
Old 12-06-2007, 03:15 PM
duncan59

Question post-sail flushing system?

Don, this brings up a question I have been pondering. I would like to set my A-4 up so that I can flush my engine with fresh water when I get back to the slip, but not to install a fresh water cooling system. Given that I understand (and have purchased all of the brass fittings) to power flush the water-jacket, how can I adapt these to flush the block on a regular basis (and leave it with fresh, rather than raw water), while making sure that I don't get water washing back into my machinery?
If you have answered this before, just point me to the URL.
Many thanks
Duncan (1976 Ericson 29', late-model A4)
  #4   IP: 64.25.5.225
Old 12-06-2007, 03:52 PM

Fresh Water Flushing

I have installed a hose T-fitting in the intake to the water pump. I start the engine with the seacock open so cooling with saltwater. Then, while the engine is running, I shut off the seacock and turn on the fresh water to the connection. Continue running the engine, now cooling with fresh water. Turn off the fresh water and immediately shut down the engine.
Last, I disconnect the fresh water hose from the connector, and screw on the cap, leaving the thru-hull still closed. I would DEFINITELY NOT try to "flush" the engine with fresh water when the engine is not running -- you run the risk of filling the cylinders with water.
  #5   IP: 38.118.52.41
Old 12-06-2007, 07:55 PM

Duncan,

Most boats have a "T" fitting installed in the hose between the raw water through-hull fitting and the inlet of the pump. This "T" is used to draw in antifreeze, an acid solution for flushing, or (in your case) simply drawing in fresh water. With this "T" installed, you can close the through-hull valve and open a valve on the stem of the "T" with a hose running to a 5 gallon bucket. This is the easiest way to flush out the sea water and leave the engine with fresh water in its cooling jackets between usages.

Don