X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rkohl44
    • Feb 2017

Shaft wear - tolerance?

So the stuffing box drip turned into a stream and I finally got the guts (and tools) to tackle a repack. While "in there," I measured the shaft inside and outside the stuffing box. Inside (immediately to the right of the rescue tape) measured 0.989" and outside (shiny bronze) measured 1.003".

What is the tolerance for wear on a shaft inside the stuffing box? The boat is a Catalina 30. Please tell me I don't have to buy a new shaft!

Also, the stream has turned into no drips and my bilge is dry for the first time since I've owned the boat (3 years)! Celebrate the small victories.
    Attached Files
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

r, that is not a whole lot of wear if it is still smooth and was sealing OK. In man cases with wear on the shaft it is simple to just relocate the stuffing box an inch or two.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• roadnsky
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

I agree with Dave BUT at the next stuffing change, I'd measure again.

Please note that for the first few hours of running with the new stuffing it is better to be on the LOOSE side and drip more than be too tight.
      Then, every few hours of running, you can gently tighten up to your final setting.
      (dripping 4-8 per min when running in gear)

PS - Nice use of the RESCUE TAPE!
      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
      sigpic
      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• rkohl44
        • Feb 2017

Thank you, Dave and Jerry. Yes, I will keep it loose!

Comment

Working...
        X