• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisoelder
    • May 2018

Random tapping

Hey everyone!

I was motor sailing for about 20 miles and I realized that I could hear a tapping coming from my engine compartment. I also noticed my oil pressure was down about 20-30%. After we finished our sail my oil was at a solid level, and when I started the engine the tapping still continued. Seems to be coming from the right hand side. Anyone have any thoughts?

Here is a video
  • capnward
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2012

Sure sounds like a valve. It's in the right place, too. Are you using MMO in the gas and/or oil? If not, try adding it to both. I believe it prevents sticky valves. I always have used it in gas and oil, and have never had to open the valve cover in 20 years. If oil level is unchanged, maybe oil pressure decreased as engine and oil got warmer. Others will be along with more knowledge. This might be a good time to check your compression.

Comment

• roadnsky
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

When was the last time you did a valve adjustment?
      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
      sigpic
      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• chrisoelder
        • May 2018

MMO and valve adjustment

Thank you for the replies!

@capnward I did and an oil and fuel filter separator change about 20 engine hours ago (April19) When I did that I added MMO to my oil and fuel. I’m going to add a bit more to my fuel and oil to see if that helps resolve it. Good idea! Fingers crossed it will be that simple haha.

@roadnsky I’m not sure the last time that was done. I bought her in April 2018 and the previous owner said they got a “complete tune up”. I don’t really believe them because shortly after purchasing I found the engine was over heating after 30 mins above idle due to a blocked L. So it’s anyone’s guess the last time it was done. I had a feeling it was a tapping valve. Is doing a valve adjustment a heavy labor project? The forum you linked makes me think it is haha.

Sorry for my lack of proper terminology

UPDATE: Added a bit of MMO to my oil and the recommended amount in my fuel with 5 gallons. I ran the engine for 15 mins, she started up on the 2nd try ran well but still ticked. I let her sit for 15 min and put a small splash of MMO in the oil. After the wait I ran her for another 15 mins. Good start up but still clicked.

2 questions:
        1. Should I run the engine longer to get the oil through the engine?

2. Also is what I’m hearing a metal pin hitting a jammed or broken spring?
        Last edited by chrisoelder; 09-01-2019, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• capnward
          Afourian MVP
          • Aug 2012

Apparently it wasn't as simple as adding MMO. The MMO may prevent carbon buildup on the valves, but won't break it down easily. That is a substantial tapping noise which indicates to me the need for a valve adjustment. I have never done one, but someday I will. I will probably need to remove the engine to get access to the valves. But if I do that I will likely replace the short block. Doing a valve adjustment won't necessarily solve the tapping issue. It might be in the mechanical fuel pump, if you have one.
          I think you have run the engine long enough for the MMO to take whatever effect it will in the short run. The noise is, I'm guessing, the tappet hitting the end of the valve shaft harder than it would with a smaller gap between them, and carbon buildup on the seat of the valve elevated it a bit. I doubt the valve spring is broken or jammed. You may be able to run for years this way, but many others on this forum will have more experience than me with valves.

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Sounds more like an exhaust leak to me. Try pulling one plug wire at a time and see if the sound changes or goes away.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• roadnsky
              Afourian MVP
              • Dec 2008

You know what?
              I went back and listened and I think Neil is right.
              -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
              sigpic
              1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• capnward
                Afourian MVP
                • Aug 2012

By golly, now that you mention it, I can hear it too. Good ear, Neil.

Comment

• chrisoelder
                  • May 2018

Wow! I can’t believe it. When I remove the plug for the 4th spark plug back (the last spark plug) the ticking stops. I’m assuming that is my issue right there. I’m going to get a replacement.

Is there anything else I should do? Also does anyone know the toque wrench setting for this head?

First time doing this on my A4. Thanks!

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

What exactly are you replacing?
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California

Comment

• chrisoelder
                      • May 2018

@ndunton I was going to replace the spark plug and the plug cable for it. Sorry for the confusion

Comment

• ndutton
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

If the plug and wire replacement results in no change we will discuss things further. Do you have a compression tester? I'd like to know about #4.
                        Neil
                        1977 Catalina 30
                        San Pedro, California

Comment

• chrisoelder
                          • May 2018

Sounds good to me. I dont have one but will look into it. Ordering the parts now and will have some info in the next week.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Comment

• chrisoelder
                            • May 2018

Hey everyone!

Alright so i replaced the spark plug wires and the plugs. Sadly, the tapping is still happening.

When i remove the plug wires one by one, while running, the tapping stops when i remove the 4th spark plug wire (last one, closest to the oil). My compression tester should be in tomorrow so i can test compression.

I have done a bit of research and i have found that people will pour/spray MMO and Sea Foam right into where the spark plug is, do you think i should try this to help resolve the issue?

Could the issue stopping after removing the 4th spark plug wire mean that the 4th spark plug provides power to the back valves that are causing a tap?

Thanks for the help and sorry for my ignorance!

Comment

• roadnsky
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Dec 2008

I'm thinking it might be time to do a Valve Adjustment.

Does anyone else concur or have a better thought?

@ Chris - If we go to adjusting valves, I'll link you to a couple of really good instructional threads about this procedure.
                              -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                              sigpic
                              1978 RANGER 30

Comment

Working...
                              X