Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #1 Unapproved

Electic fuel pump problem

We had a problem with our electic fuel pump that we bought from Moyer a few years ago. After the engin wouldn't start I noticed I could not hear the fuel pump making it's usual clicking noise. I troubleshot the problem by directly hooking the power wire to the battery. It worked but I obviously don't want to keep it this way. As far as I can tell the power wire goes to 2 different parts before being hooked up to the coil where it gets power. I think one of the parts is overheat switch. I assume there is a problem with one of these things. Is this typical? I wonder if the overheat switch has tripped. Is there a way to reset it or do I need to replace the part?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Will,

The item you're describing as an overheat switch is more than likely an oil pressure safety switch which closes only when the oil pressure is above approximately 10 psi. It's normal, therefore, when connecting an electric pump through an oil pressure safety switch for the pump not to run until the engine oil pressure raises through 10 psi - normally in the first couple seconds of starter RPM.

Don

Comment

• Keymastr
      Frequent Contributor
      • Feb 2007

Before you start ripping things apart,

Before you start ripping things apart,
      You may want to install a primmer bulb into your fuel line
      If you need to squeeze it every 15- 30 seconds to keep the engine running its probably a fuel pump issue. It’s a good idea to have one in the system anyway.

Uwe

Comment

Working...
      X