Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Owner Discussion Groups > Discussion Groups > Alberg

#1   IP: 138.88.162.86
Old 07-01-2008, 11:40 AM

1962 Alberg 35 (Pearson)

Well, just to get something in the Alberg forum, I'll chat a little about my boat. I moved up from a Triton to an Alberg 35. Same thing, just a bit bigger and sails every bit as sweet. Lived aboard for 5 years, working on some nearby Schooners in Annapolis.

Late model Atomic 4 supposedly rebuilt in 2002. Boat was a basic daysailer on the Chesapeake Bay. I upgraded a lot of things in order to do a long cruise in 2007 of six months living aboard and sailing around the US and British Virgin Islands. Did the ICW to Beafort and had a 14 day passage out, and a 10 day passage back. Was averaging 6 knots/day until the very last day when the wind died and I drifted in the Gulf Stream for a few hours before finally creeping into Beafort again.

Lived at anchor all the time. No refrigeration. Pretty light electrical draws. Used two T-105 batteries for the house bank and a cheapo yard tractor battery as a backup start. Mando 55 amp alternator was sole source of charging and on the ocean crossings ran it about 30-45 minutes in the morning and evening. Used a Simrad TP-32 tiller autopilot that worked pretty well until halfway through the return crossing and it crapped out. Sent it in and they fixed it under warranty and it works fine again. Something in the circuit board or internal fluxgate compass failed because I tested the motor and it still worked and there was no water inside the unit. I'll carry a spare next time Recommend treating those tillerpilots like a laptop. Don't handle them roughly, those fluxgate wires are hair-thin!

Manifold rusted through on the passage and I had a hard time starting it on the last day. Had the starter rebuilt. Added the Crankcase ventilation kit from Indigo, as well as the Pertronix ignition. Switched to a 4 way ignition switch since saltwater destroyed my old key and pushbutton start arrangement. Blower wired into the 4 way switch is a huge improvement.
New accessory drive installed since old one had a bearing going bad.

Rewired the engine bay this year and repainted the engine. Runs pretty sweet now. Replaced the chipped and corroded two blade prop with my old Triton's 13x8 two blade. Couldn't get enough revs out of it. Switched to the Indigo prop and am much happier with the performance, though it wil never reverse predictably because of the keel design. Forward propulsion is great.

Happy to answer any questions...
Thanks
  #2   IP: 69.137.234.85
Old 10-22-2008, 09:56 PM

Hi,
I think we may have briefly covered this in a forum discussion on propellers, but I need a little more detail on this. My recollection is that you have a three blade prop on your A35. What did you have to do to install it? I don't want to have to fully drop the rudder or move the engine. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Gregg
  #3   IP: 70.51.57.223
Old 10-23-2008, 08:21 AM

Nice boat

Hi,

I love the classics, and you've got a pair of 'em between the Alberg and the Atomic 4. Thank goodness there are plenty of people around who are willing to maintain these beauties, otherwise the seaways would be totally clogged up with nothing but the bleach-bottle floating condos now being passed off as sailing vessels.

Ever wonder how many of the "modern" ~35-foot Beneteaus, Hunters, Bavarias, etc. are going to be still going strong 45+ years from now?

Thanks for sharing.

Rob
s/v Leeway
C&C Corvette #161
  #4   IP: 138.88.162.86
Old 10-23-2008, 09:45 AM

I had a 13x8 two blade prop that wasn't allowing full rpms (overpropped). So I got the Indigo three blade prop that is designed for the A4. It works pretty much as advertised. The engine is quite happy with this prop. No prop will fix our reversing problems though.

On to the installation... I was able to push the rudder to the side and the prop had enough clearance to go on and come off. Since it was close, I imagine other boats might have just a little bit more or less clearance. On my rudder I notice the top of the wood by the rudder stock is the first thing to contact the hull and limit its movement. You can grind away a little bit from the contact point to get enough movement and then just seal the cut with epoxy. I think you mentioned someone tried the prop on an Alberg 30, and with its smaller rudder and aperature, it didn't work. On the Alberg 35, the aperature is a little bigger. Same design, but different manufacturers (Whitby vs. Pearson) so there are slight differences in the boats.

Ask about the Indigo return policy in case you just can't get it to fit.
  #5   IP: 138.88.162.86
Old 10-23-2008, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the kind words Rob!

I wonder if 30 years from now, some kid will buy a old, run down Benny or Hunter and try to refurbish it. I imagine the same techniques we use will still be in fashion... hand lay our fiberglass repairs, a few sheets of plywood to make a new interior layout, etc...

Its possible to do it, but I just can't imagine a moldy, rotten Benateau generating in someone the passion that these old boats do with their lines. We look at a decrepit Alberg and say "a little paint and new sails and she'll be alright". You want to take it home with you like a lost puppy and care for it.

A moldy old Hunter, I'd just as soon put out of its misery.
  #6   IP: 68.84.1.130
Old 10-23-2008, 08:41 PM

Those boats will never become classics even if they do manage to survive 40 years.

Mike
Pearson Vanguard #244