X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thesolarsailor
    • Sep 2016

Hi From Oregon

New Atomic 4 owner here. Just purchased a 1976 Newport 28 with a very clean well running A-4 in her. From the records I have it seems like it has always been a fresh water boat. From the looks of things she was well maintained until about 2 years ago when someone left water in it and the head cracked next to the thermostat. Repaired that and all is well, new alternator and pointless distributor have been installed by previous owner. The only gauge is the fuel gauge so getting a tach, oil pressure and water temp set installed is high on the winter project list. I am glad I found this board before I bought a boat so I knew what to look for.
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

thesolarsailor, welcome to the MMI Afourian Forum! You have come to the right place for the A-4 and pretty much anything one has been put to use in.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

The single fuel gauge was typical Newport practice. Oil pressure and engine temp were monitored with an alarm system.

FYI, your hull is a Newport 27 base modified by spreading the out the beam a few inches, adding about eight inches of freeboard and a one foot bustle. The deck was a completely new design inspired by the Newport 41S.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • May 2010

Another Welcome! You have, indeed, found the right place!

If it was not part of your records, please consider getting the MMI manual from our sponsor. It's very good, and a must-read for the A4 owner/caretaker. Really. We all have one, and I bet most of us still look at it from time to time.
        Jeff

sigpic
        S/V Bunny Planet
        1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• thesolarsailor
          • Sep 2016

The manual is on the list for the next order.

Comment

• Boat
            • Aug 2014

Hey! Welcome. Newport 30 here. Hull #20 great boats. the forum is invaluable.
            '69 Newport 30 MKI Hull #20

Comment

Working...
            X