Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Safety

#26   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 02-26-2014, 06:20 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJ View Post
Mo

Do you have any film of the Bay of Fundy showing a rough sea and tide?
Art,
Haven't been to Bay of Fundy but could do a search. Sailing is supposed to be very tide based there. I know that same tide affects the Marblehead to Halifax race, and depending on the tide, you want to be out on Georges Bank or heading in toward NB. Races have been won and lost with that Bay of Fundy tides...many have been pushed into the bay and others out on Georges Bank when all they wanted to do was shoot across the Gulf of Maine. Steering a tidal vector and timing is the key and those that do it right are in the running to win.

There were surfers in the Bay of Fundy last summer. I don't know enough to comment on the water conditions further up the Bay.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.
  #27   IP: 71.181.37.42
Old 02-26-2014, 06:30 PM

MO
Thanks
I believe that the Bay of Fundy has some of the highest tides in the world.
The MacArthur Inchon, Korea landing is often compared to the bay of Fundy tide levels.
I think it is 40 or more feet. I am told that it is because Nova Scotia
and Cape Cod form a Resonant bowl of sorts and the related time
constants accentuate the tides.

Best Regards

Art
  #28   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 04-08-2014, 09:43 PM
Afourian MVP

This was daunting.

I put a guy in the water once to hook up a MOB...seas were no where near as dramatic. The guy with me was a policeman and his first time on a sailboat. We heard the Maday and went and found the guy. The guy with me put on the Mustang floater suit I have aboard and I used the spinnaker line to winch them back aboard. Being the only one left aboard and winching, needless to say, I found it grueling. He didn't mind going in the water at all and was able to get the halyard around under the guys arms.

Good boat handling on this video...much much more difficult than it looks.

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/outpo...-hours-at-sea/

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

Last edited by Mo; 04-08-2014 at 09:57 PM.
  #29   IP: 199.173.224.31
Old 04-09-2014, 02:12 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
I have been out there and we had nothing but calm and light air. The tide CRANKS though. We coud walk to an island over a bar that we went over later that day by boat with 30 feet showing under the keel. There is a breakwater in Lubec that makes an eddy the seals just love. they go round and round and round eating fish while the tide is running.
There used to be a whirlpool that was apparently quite intense, but some kind of dredging or seawall work made it a lot calmer.
This is the sign you read before you walk to the other island:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
Art,
Haven't been to Bay of Fundy but could do a search. Sailing is supposed to be very tide based there. I know that same tide affects the Marblehead to Halifax race, and depending on the tide, you want to be out on Georges Bank or heading in toward NB. Races have been won and lost with that Bay of Fundy tides...many have been pushed into the bay and others out on Georges Bank when all they wanted to do was shoot across the Gulf of Maine. Steering a tidal vector and timing is the key and those that do it right are in the running to win.

There were surfers in the Bay of Fundy last summer. I don't know enough to comment on the water conditions further up the Bay.
Attached Images

#30   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 04-09-2014, 04:47 PM
Afourian MVP

Hi Joe,
It's about a 40 minute drive for me...I've seen it coming in many times but never been there in a boat. Awesome stuff.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#31   IP: 199.173.224.31
Old 04-09-2014, 05:14 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
Here is the local wildlife you can see. The younger finback whales thought it was tons-o-fun to charge the guy in the rowboat and then dive under at the last second. The biggest one we saw was close to 90 feet long!
Attached Images

Last edited by joe_db; 04-09-2014 at 05:17 PM.
  #32   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 04-09-2014, 05:30 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_db View Post
Here is the local wildlife you can see. The younger finback whales thought it was tons-o-fun to charge the guy in the rowboat and then dive under at the last second. The biggest one we saw was close to 90 feet long!
Well, the seals I see everyday. The whales not so much anymore. A while back I had a whale follow the boat near every time I went out...the boys called it " Mo's pet whale". LOL Saw that particular whale just once or twice the next season and it moved on.

The whale started following me the same day as this happened http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsizi...reboat_08-448B The whale was being followed by local whale watching boats and was in the harbor. The whale watching boats only took in reponse to Mayday when the fireboat capsized. I figure the whale was young, about 20-24 feet long, and it came up beside my boat to breath. It kept my boat between those chasing and her. It would go back down and come back and did that for about 2 hours. When I left the harbor for the rest of the year the whale would come right up to the boat, sometimes rubbing against her. She did that day after day until I hauled out end of October. Even took a few people out to experience it and that's when they started calling her "Mo's pet whale". The following summer I was sailing down the coast and the twins, smaller then, were both up forward holding the pulpit on a beautiful day. The whale came alongside, rolled, did few breaches etc just 10 feet away. She was about 30 feet long at that time. That was the last time she came that close.

Last few years I haven't seen whales daily like I'd come accustomed to. Not sure if it was because the water was warmer or if something changed like fish quantities etc that they follow. Maybe this year will be different.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

Last edited by Mo; 04-09-2014 at 10:00 PM.
  #33   IP: 67.86.125.107
Old 04-09-2014, 07:08 PM

back to the issue of jacklines and tethers, I've never really completely sorted out this important part of sailing in a way I'm comfortable with.

here's my thoughts and your insight is most welcome.
1.usually sail with first mate. she is capable or i sail solo
2. if tethered and i go overboard (solo) and assuming the boat is still sailing...i can't figure out how the heck to get back to the stern ladder. likely the tether will be caught in the lifelines.
3. when going overboard there is a strong likelihood the weather ain't calm. Unclip? maybe if I'm not solo and someone is at the helm.
4. I seem to have taken a view that i'm more comfortable moving forward on the windward side, and clipped to the windward jackline. I suppose the thinking is I'm more likely to fall downhill?
5. i need to figure out a way to shorten my tether so I'm crawling on the deck. maybe just double it with both ends clipped to my harness is the simplest?
6. sailing in local water (Hudson River) i'm confident i can swim to either shore. so that's not a problem other then where the boat ends up
7. if injured when going over all bets are null and void.

Last year heading across the Gulf of Maine in the middle of the night, close hauled, the wind came up and we decided to furl the jib. the furling jammed. In the process of trying to free it (on the leeward side...of course) - i dropped a flashlight in the water and watched it float away. It disappeared in a matter of seconds. That moment gave me reason to pause with one thought only.
Stay on the boat!
  #34   IP: 108.54.201.169
Old 04-09-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyvoyager View Post
back to the issue of jacklines and tethers, I've never really completely sorted out this important part of sailing in a way I'm comfortable with.

here's my thoughts and your insight is most welcome.
1.usually sail with first mate. she is capable or i sail solo
2. if tethered and i go overboard (solo) and assuming the boat is still sailing...i can't figure out how the heck to get back to the stern ladder. likely the tether will be caught in the lifelines.
When it is rough, solo sailors don't go forward. If they get washed overboard, it will be from the stern.
3. when going overboard there is a strong likelihood the weather ain't calm. Unclip? maybe if I'm not solo and someone is at the helm.
You do what you must, but unclipping has obvious dangers.
4. I seem to have taken a view that i'm more comfortable moving forward on the windward side, and clipped to the windward jackline. I suppose the thinking is I'm more likely to fall downhill?
Sure, but see #2 and #3
5. i need to figure out a way to shorten my tether so I'm crawling on the deck. maybe just double it with both ends clipped to my harness is the simplest?
That works, but you have to worry about the jackline sawing through your tether. Some tethers are made with clips at both ends and another in between, but off center. This provides three operating lengths.
6. sailing in local water (Hudson River) i'm confident i can swim to either shore. so that's not a problem other then where the boat ends up
In full foulies? Without getting run down by another boat? You want to bet your life on that?
7. if injured when going over all bets are null and void.
So being a good swimmer can't be counted on.
As you say, staying on the boat is the best policy.

Last edited by Loki9; 04-09-2014 at 10:26 PM.
  #35   IP: 67.86.125.107
Old 04-10-2014, 03:57 AM

well..... gentlemen don't generally sail to weather either and I've been forward in hell. ....Sh@t happens.

no full foulies on the Hudson, I'm sailing in decent weather.
Yes I'm confident about my swimming abilities.

The hole for the dip stick is starboard of the distributor..and i sincerely apologize for posting
Fair winds Friend

Last edited by nyvoyager; 04-10-2014 at 04:22 AM.
  #36   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 04-10-2014, 06:58 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyvoyager View Post
well..... gentlemen don't generally sail to weather either and I've been forward in hell. ....Sh@t happens.

no full foulies on the Hudson, I'm sailing in decent weather.
Yes I'm confident about my swimming abilities.

The hole for the dip stick is starboard of the distributor..and i sincerely apologize for posting
Fair winds Friend
Your take on things makes sense NY. Circumstances may dictate a slight deviation from a plan at times, but the main thing is to have a plan or procedure that is working for you.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#37   IP: 24.89.230.235
Old 07-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJ View Post
MO
Thanks
I believe that the Bay of Fundy has some of the highest tides in the world.
The MacArthur Inchon, Korea landing is often compared to the bay of Fundy tide levels.
I think it is 40 or more feet. I am told that it is because Nova Scotia
and Cape Cod form a Resonant bowl of sorts and the related time
constants accentuate the tides.

Best Regards

Art

Pic for ya Art!!
Attached Images

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#38   IP: 24.138.22.213
Old 03-25-2016, 06:54 AM
Afourian MVP

Worth a read.

Hi guys. Just had this one come in on Facebook and thought it worthy of posting here. There's something to be learned and although not perfect, there are things to be aware of, learn and consider. All the best.

http://www.pbo.co.uk/seamanship/is-i...a-tether-25125

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

Last edited by Mo; 03-25-2016 at 06:58 AM.
  #39   IP: 71.59.125.65
Old 03-25-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
Related to the video
If I were the skipper of the power boat I'd have considered tossing a line to the victims and towing them into more sheltered water to do the rescue even if it were one or two at a time. One more good comber and the rescue boat will need rescuing. Dallying around in the surf zone seems risky to me both for the vessel and victims.

Unrelated to the video
When was the last time any of us actually practiced MOB, particularly under sail (jibe, reach, heave-to)? I confess it's been a helluva long time for me.

I practice it every time my or Katherine's hat blows overboard. OR when off shore and something odd (?) catches one of our eyes and we turn back to investigate.
  #40   IP: 71.59.125.65
Old 03-25-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
Many years ago, when I took the Coast Guard Safe Boating course, they showed us a movie (old even then) which I think was titled "Black Friday." It showed a bunch of boats (some of them small commercial fishing boats) trying to enter Manasquan Inlet on the New Jersey coast. One after another, they hit the jetty, capsized, etc.

It was enough to make you nauseated (not nauseous ).

Bill

edit: Just found it!

[YOUTUBE]5kZPgHWuuQg[/YOUTUBE]
JUst came across this film further back in the thread. Thanks for posting it. NJ Inlets, (My home waters) Funny I call Mamasquan one of my inlets of refuge if the weather turns to crap while headed to Sandy Hook. However, that inlet, as well as Barnegate, have and continue to be constantly improved. New wide jetties built back between 197? and the mid 1980s. A never ending dredging project.

There is a new move out now. "The Finest Hours" The story was originally punished in a book called "Two Tankers Down". I shudder to think how Hollywood trashed the real story. (Dont they always?)
The real hero in the story is the CGRB36 The rescue boat used by the UCCG at tyhe time. Its the same little rescue boat shown in this vid. It only serious drawback was how vastly under powered it was and that its speed was hampered by its lack of power. Still a fantastic lifeboat, made more so by the skill and bravery of the men who operated them.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-25-2016 at 09:22 PM.
  #41   IP: 24.138.22.213
Old 03-25-2016, 11:40 AM
Afourian MVP

MOB War...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadaBing View Post
I practice it every time my or Katherine's hat blows overboard. OR when off shore and something odd (?) catches one of our eyes and we turn back to investigate.
Same here. If something goes off the boat MOB drill. Summer 2015 year my wife and I did one in about 18 kts for my hat. I called it, she got the pole...boat turned, sails still up. Last words I said to her..."we'll be heading downwind, I want you to stay on the Stb side of the bow, stay low because the jib will flap when I let go the sheet..I'll lay the boat right there".

So I bring the boat with the hat slightly to my port, I'm going to dump the boat up wind and have that hat in the lee...easy pickup. She decides to change sides and I'm yelling to her to get back...she points where it is...I know where it is. I bring the boat, swing, boat decelerates and she's on the wrong side. I reach over and pick up my hat with my hand.

So she comes back and proceeds to tell me what I did wrong. I LOSE IT with her. Told her you do what I say, not what you think....and she came back at me. It turned into a war at sea and I was still pissed when I got it DIRECTLY back to the dock...get off my boat. She was not talking to me after I said "what if that was one of the kids"..."there's one captain on this boat and do what you are told". She didn't come on the boat for a week.

I don't know if that will ever happen again but I can tell you there is no negotiation on that type of thing. I know the boat, I know what it can do, I know how it handles, I know how long it will take to decelerate and depending on conditions I know we might get one chance....someone doesn't come aboard, lounge around then all of a sudden are dictating how the MOB is going to happen...

PS: when I first learned to sail the wife and I had a few blow ups...thought we were past that stuff happening. It had been a long time since we had a fight (verbal) like that but I rode it to set the point. I was actually p'd right off because I thought I had her up to snuff...just a bit windier and faster and she figured she'd change the approach. Nothing else was different except I had to yell to speak to her on the bow...and she heard me in plenty of time to get back to her position, and of course once I turned the boat up the flapping sails make a racket...3 seconds I had my hat in my hands dumped the boat to stb and hardened up the main....by this time I was getting an earful.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

Last edited by Mo; 03-25-2016 at 11:54 AM.
  #42   IP: 71.59.125.65
Old 03-25-2016, 09:56 PM

Your completly correct, ONLY ONE CAPT. on a vessel.
We do ot.of.mitual comsemt planing when there are.optioms. BUT when it.comes.to on the spot, at the moment, decisions only (sorry domt.wqnt.to seem like a control freek) only my voice counts.
Unintentionally I reimforce.this.every time we take a guest sailimg..It.part of my welcome to the boat orientation. Most of these folks have not sailed.before so I am givimg.them a little intro on what to expect and terms.to grasp. Forward.and Aft always mean the same, also Starboard and Port, then why.Where to life jackets.are, etc.
I little about.why sailboats "lean"'ome way or the.other amd the big.heavy hunk of lead that keeps.the boat from.tippimg.over. Whar is a boom.and why you domt.want to experience it. Avoiding fingers in winches actually "dont touch a line (rope) umless I tell you to.
And finally, this.is a must, "if you hear the tone.of mynvoice change or.I make.what seems.a.commamd, DO IT, its not time for questions or.discuession. "Then I say something.to the effect "Katherine, do you agree?" To which she always afferms with something like "the louder and more.bark like the faster you should.act" Anyone who knows Katherine, knows she normally has a mimd.of.her own, when they hear, from her, in her words that Orders must.be followed it speaks.volumes..And reinforces it.to her as well
  #43   IP: 98.171.163.112
Old 03-26-2016, 12:28 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

I've have a couple of divorced women on my boat as crew (at different times - a few years apart) that when they were married owned a sail boat along with their husband and were used to being co captains.
Boy, did it ever come as a shock to them that on my boat they were no longer co captains. They were crew. I may consult as to their preferences but the final decision is mine. Always. Always.
One of them realized what the story was and we did a lot of good sailing together. The other one didn't quite grasp the concept that she was no longer co captain and after a couple of day sails together said she was no longer interested. So long. Have a good life.
BTW, IMO women make good sailors. Men try to brut strength it out. Women tend to think it out a bit more.
Maybe we need a thread along these lines. It would probably melt my computer down.

TRUE GRIT
  #44   IP: 24.152.132.65
Old 03-26-2016, 10:14 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
I have no issue soliciting the opinion of crew who I deem to be worthy of consideration but on board my boat it's understood since I bear the liability, I make the decisions. There are two people I sail with whose opinions merit careful consideration. One is a childhood friend who learned to sail right beside me under the tutelage of my Dad. He has owned various sailboats in his adult life (one of them a Catalina 30 coincidentally) and is a veteran of two Transpac races. Our experiences are diverse and similar at the same time and because of that we make a pretty good team. The other is forum member Thatch. Whether on his boat or mine, we each respect who is skipper and who is crew but when Tom has an opinion (same as on the forum) it's a good idea to pay attention. Having the best information makes for the best decisions and good decisions make a good skipper.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #45   IP: 71.59.125.65
Old 03-26-2016, 10:31 AM

John.
No doubt that many woman make better captains than men. Could be that some men domt belomg in charge in lifebat all, could be that mamy women are good or even great leaders.

One fun lesson is to pock.a drill, or a hairy inlet, and hand tje helm over to the wanna be captain, be it man or woman, than watch the attitudes change.
On small difficulty we face on my boat is.that when things grow intense I get quite. Thisndrives my wife nuts. Im mot doing it to drive her nuts but because all of my attention is shifting to the issue at hand (this applies to on land life as well)
Therenare or have been ocassions when she shouts "your not tellimg.me.what to do" response? "Which n I need it you will know"

Back in 1972 i introduced Katherine to skiing..I was anpretty good skier..She had never had ski boots on. Out on the flats by the lodge I attemptednto give her some.instructions. using very short skis as was the learning practice back then
.First obkection, Why are our skis so little and why cant I habe ski poles? Everyone else has long skis.and poles. I tried to explain but it did not seem to sink in that short skis are easier to move around ln amd speed up the learning curve ln weight transfer. Blank stare.
After a frustr a ting half hoir on the flats.by the lodge, and having become.weary of hearing "I dlmt want tl ""hop"" I want to ski" ect. I toom.het to the top.of the bumny slope.at Jack Frost Mlumtain (hill) ski resort.
Now she had already fallen a half.dozen time , onvioisly my fault, before we got.to the lift..I thi k they valled the lift in use back then a pimmel chair (?) which is a misnomer because you dont sit on it but place the round disk between you legs and stand as the lift tows hou up the hill
Try though I may, and the lift attendent as well, she has a fine time.of attempting to sit and being drug up the hill..By the time.we made it tl the top, must.have been about 500 yards, she almost.had it.down.

"Honey, this is very important, you comtrol our speed, you want to clntrol your speed, by truning across the hill, you turn by a slight hop to take the weight off your heels and twisting, ever so slightly your heals.right- to go left or.left- to go right. Lets try it here right now to see if you understand. "I DONT WANT TO HOP, I GOT.IT! I want to Ski! LEAVE ME ALONE, KNOCK IT OFF! ..........."

So wanting to comtinue in her good graces I bid.her love and and took a lovely trip down.the bunny slope, hopimg.she would.see that I spent.most.of the time.crossing slope
When I reached the. bottom.I turned around.to see.her first dramatic "widexworld.ofmsports" crash
After about a jalf.hour.she made.it.to the.bottom
.I skied.over to her to see howmshe was. Her reply was epic! " Whats were you saying about were sayimg about hop?"
  #46   IP: 73.255.216.151
Old 03-26-2016, 09:08 PM
Afourian MVP

The crew has to have confidence in the captain. It has really only been wife and I sailing. She steers 99 percent of the time. I used to have her steer the boat right into the slip. (it is different where we are now since things change suddenly and I need to have the helm)'

I sent her to sailing school school 20 years ago. It gave her confidence and she knew that she could do it.

As long as she does what I say, I am the one to blame. I am fine with that, as, yes, I am the captain. She respects that the final word is mine.

I have a buddy that I sail with sometimes. He is the captain of his boat, and I know that. It is pretty much as if we are co captains most of the time. Sometimes he defers to me for a decision. but ultimately it is his boat and he is captain. We have confidence in each other. I would let him take my boat out and vice versa.
  #47   IP: 98.171.160.212
Old 03-27-2016, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
on board my boat it's understood since I bear the liability, I make the decisions.
On my boat nobody but me touches the helm or engine control until the boat is out of the harbor and in open ocean. This way I have full control, full responsibility, and full liability. Ditto for the return to the harbor.
After the crew gets a feel for the boat I show them how and let then bring the boat into the slip and occasionally let them back the boat out of the slip so they can get the hang of steering in reverse.

TRUE GRIT
  #48   IP: 97.93.89.70
Old 03-27-2016, 11:58 AM

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
How hard could it be

A number of years ago I was working on a fishing boat as a deck hand. It was late at night and I was loading some new braided line on a big Senator reel for some deep Lingcod fishing. I was about half way done loading the line by dragging a 1 1/2 pound weight behind the boat in a dense fog just off of San Nicolas Island. I heard a commotion in the bunk house as a "big pissed of guy covered in PUKE" was very upset with a "lil guy" in the bunk above. He drug the lil guy screaming his head off and tossed him over the side as I was on the transom. I grabbed a life ring and tossed it in his direction as he had already disappeared in the fog!!!! At about the same time another life ring hit the water too from the bridge deck. I cut my line immediately and the skipper brought the boat to a complete stop. He turned the boat with the twin screws and then proceeded at idle on the reciprocal in our wake. It seemed to take forever and finally we spotted one of the life rings so we were close.. In another minute or so we spotted the "lil guy" hanging on to the other.

The "lil guy" was probably about 160 pounds and soaking wet. It was a real hassle to get him aboard with no swim step. It took 4 or 5 guys grunting to get him back aboard. He was scared, upset and a bit hypothermic. He was OK in a bit so the trip continued. The "big guy" was placed under house arrest and detained on a bunk behind the bridge and confined there for the trip. When we returned the next day the big guy was arrested and hauled off for "attempted manslaughter" by the LA Police and the lil guy got another free trip Don't know if he used it though.

Until you have actually been in a bad MOB, seen the confusion and angst of a bad situation you have no idea how you or the crew will react. We had a good experienced skipper, a lot of luck and that is why the "lil guy" made it home!!

Practice is a good thing and all it does is keep you familiar with the tools and skills required. These are needed skills when/if a real panic situation arises.

Dave Neptune
  #49   IP: 24.138.22.213
Old 03-27-2016, 06:39 PM
Afourian MVP

Heard only one MOB mayday last year. On our way back from a week down the shore, thick of fog, 40 miles behind us. Sort of heard the high pitch voice over the radio and said turn that up. Got part of it MOB, Life Jacket on, boat turned around and can't find him....

Then the tones. Canada still uses the "Distress Tone Generator" and those tones go for a full minute prior to the broadcast...that's your time to get pen and paper to copy info. Not sure if the US still uses it, been around a long time.

Anyway, the tones, then the Mayday Relay...by the time I'd punched the coordinates into my GPS boats were calling Coast Guard and telling them they were enroute to the area...ETA's like 7, 12, 15 minutes...there must have been 20 boats heading there. It was quiet for about 1/2 hr to 45 minutes then a relay to stand-down and that the MOB was recovered and OK. As time ticked away on that one I was wondering if he'd make it...water still cold here in summer and visibility was about 40 feet.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

Last edited by Mo; 03-27-2016 at 06:42 PM.