X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

I'd say Hanley's numbers suggest significantly improved economy with the adjustable jet is fleeting.

As far as I can tell, nobody monitors his engine as thoroughly as Hanley yet his consumption rates are right in the middle of what the vast majority of us get, fixed or adjustable jet. I knew leaning out the mix resulted in higher temps but had no idea how much. I'm thinking this might fall into the 'unintended consequences' area.

And Dave, here's an unrelated question: I always understood the move toward injection about 30 or so years ago had more to do with emissions than performance. True?
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Nope

Neil, not realy. It is for performance that injection was originally worked with then like the original Corvett fuelies in this country and various European sports exotics. Thes were controlled by springs and were a pain to get right but when they were right or as close as could be achieved they performed quite well. This worked until we started seeing digitally controlled carbs which morfed into digitally controlled injection we see everywhere today. Performance and "control" are bedfellows to say the least.
      Lets look at the venerable 427 435 HP Chevy Corvett engine, arguably one of the best of the "muscle" car engines. With a 3.73 set of gears you could get around 9~11 MPG and had excellent performance. Todays 427 (actually a small block) makes in access of 625 HP and with the same gears (3.73) you can drive around town and get 18+ MPG and over 25 on the highway with better responce and more torque to boot and they are doing it on todays pump gas not the old Chevron "white pump 109 octane" that was required then. These new engines will live much longer and don't go out of tune unless a "control" fails. You can buy this same engine from aftermarket sources in an 825 HP configuration which gets far better milage than the ole "BB427" and get a warranty with it. I have test drive a few of these and they are absolutely awsome however they are carburated, the FI model is being developed and should be available this year. However the warranty is longer and the HP rating is over 900 HP, this was unheard of just a few years ago.
      Today if I were working on a larger boat and was needing an engine I would seriously consider a FI 4 or 6 cylinder gas engine. It would be smaller, lighter and far more reliable. Get a 100 HP engine and only use about 60 of it. It would require half the space and would be 1/3 the weight of a new diesel with comparable power .

Dave Neptune

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
        I'd say Hanley's numbers suggest significantly improved economy with the adjustable jet is fleeting.
        Not so fast, Bro Neil - Changes are going to be made in the filtration system which will prevent leaning out via crud collection. Stay tuned for the "2012 Return Run to the Vineyard" thread.

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Agreed mah brutha from anutha mutha.

I'm eager to hear consumption figures form you or anyone, especially numbers outside the 3/4 - 1 GPH range we've come to expect. Remember, I said significantly.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California

Comment

• ILikeRust
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2010

I think all you need is to install a turbo-encabulator. But unfortunately, the government and certain giant corporations have conspired for decades to keep it off the free market.

Just recently, this old technical film has been uncovered, providing incontrovertible proof of the turbo-encabulator's existence:

[YOUTUBE]rLDgQg6bq7o[/YOUTUBE]
            - Bill T.
            - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• H3LlIoN
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by ILikeRust View Post
              I think all you need is to install a turbo-encabulator. But unfortunately, the government and certain giant corporations have conspired for decades to keep it off the free market.

Just recently, this old technical film has been uncovered, providing incontrovertible proof of the turbo-encabulator's existence:
              His diagram looks like a TH400.
              Blog @ http://www.youthstrikesback.com
              Pics @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/66632238@N02/sets/
              Twitter @ http://twitter.com/captclownshoes
              Facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/youthstrikesback

Comment

• mike7a10
                • Apr 2005

He lost me with the reference to the dingle arm. I am concerned...

You don't find this stuff any just any motor forum site!

Mike

S/V Plan Sea

Comment

• roadnsky
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ILikeRust View Post
                  I think all you need is to install a turbo-encabulator.
                  HEY!! My brother has one of those!
                  -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                  sigpic
                  1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• jpian0923
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2010

Bill, I think the "dingle arm" is the key to that mechanism. Where can one get a good "dingle arm"?

(you have too much time on your hands.)

Thanks for the laugh...I can't stop!
                    "Jim"
                    S/V "Ahoi"
                    1967 Islander 29
                    Harbor Island, San Diego
                    2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Mar 2010

Around the mark

Well it seems it is time to close this thread before any more leaks about my new turbo encapsulator get out. The trip south was characterized generally trouble free except for a couple of things. First among these was the fuel/crud problem. I expect that any boat sitting for a while and then going on a long trip will encounter similar problems in the age of ethanol. Curiously, from Virginia southwards ethanol-free fuel was readily available until reaching Florida.
                      The second issue was the 3:1 alternator drive which I replaced with the former 2:1. The 3:1 seemed a bit much at cold start-up and I just didn't want to "lug and load" (the front main bearing) without good cause. The 2:1 was very adequate and will be retained. A second alternator (back up) is being prepared and will be discussed in the next thread. Regrettably, a contamination in the fuel data has been uncovered. In changing back to 2:1 on the flywheel I missed TDC by 2 1/2 degrees and thus my total advance was only 15 degrees and I'm sure this reduced fuel economy. Finally, I have noted large variances in both oil pressure and voltage readings throughout the system and I will address that as well.

Comment

• ndutton
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

One more thing before you close

I don't recall reading the resolution of the alternator issue assumed to be diode bridge bleed. If I missed it, sorry, but how did that turn out?
                        Neil
                        1977 Catalina 30
                        San Pedro, California

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Mar 2010

Neil - The problem is the diode trio. The unit is at the shop now and I will report on the outcome soon.

Comment

Working...
                          X