Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Electrical

#1   IP: 65.196.51.10
Old 09-09-2015, 09:16 AM

Pearson 30 solenoid accessibility

Hi everybody -

Sometimes when I press the starter button the solenoid does not fully engage and/or worse, the solenoid partially engages and seems to gets stuck half-way shutting off all the DC power in the whole boat.

After doing research. checking the batteries and seeing the condition of some of the wiring I realize that I need to clean up all the wire connections I can, and, if possible, also install a new solenoid.

Problem is on the Pearson 30 the solenoid is halfway between the front access panel and the back opening behind the engine. As a result it seems to be almost completely impossible to reach the back of the solenoid to remove the wires. (I have the freshwater cooling which doesn't help.)

I was able to remove the two screws that hold on the solendoid but even though I get it to wiggle I was not able to take it off probably due to being unable to remove the cables from the back of the solenoid.

Has anyone been able to reach those cables in the back of the solenoid on the Pearson 30? If so, I would be greatful for any ideas, special tools you used, holes you sawed into the side of the boat :=). Removing the cabinetry in front of engine and/or taking out the batteries does not look like it will help

Thanks again for any ideas.

Chris
  #2   IP: 12.216.194.200
Old 09-09-2015, 09:49 AM
Afourian MVP

I have the p30 and I would remove the starter to gain access to the solenoid and battery cable.

Steve
  #3   IP: 65.196.51.10
Old 09-10-2015, 08:49 AM

Re: Pearson 30 solenoid accessibility

What a difference to hear from someone who knows what to do! Removing the starter sounds like a great idea and with access I should be able to clean up the whole mess of corroded contacts, old wires, etc. BTW, when the solenoid is not glitching out the engine runs like a Toyota Camry.

Thanks! Chris
  #4   IP: 174.31.153.186
Old 09-14-2015, 01:34 AM

starter solenoid replacement

I have a P30 and just today I replaced my starter solenoid. You do need to remove the starter, I wouldn't even try to replace it with the starter on the engine. Access to get the starter out can be a challenge. Remove all of the cabinetry in front of the engine that you can and it will be a lot easier. The wiring on the back of the solenoid can be removed with socket wrenches, take your time and use a mirror to see what it looks like as you work on it. Just make sure the battery of off. There may be some corrosion on the terminals so use a little oil to make sure things are loosened up (this is the reason I am replacing my solenoid, the terminal snapped off when I tried to loosen the nut). The starter is very heavy and it is hard to handle at an arms length; be sure to put something soft under it to protect the hull of the boat in case you drop it.

I bought the solenoid from Moyer Marine. It did not come with instructions so I had to figure it out. There is a tab on solenoid that inserts into the body of the starter. You remove the two Philips screws and the electrical connection. The electrical connection is a hex head bolt with a 5/16 head. To remove the solenoid from the starter you have to first twist it to get the tab out of its slot. Installation of the new solenoid is the reverse process.

Good Luck!
  #5   IP: 134.223.230.155
Old 09-14-2015, 09:49 AM

I own a P30 and recently removed the whole starter/solenoid ass'y easily, just by feel. I went through the pop-out on the left (stbd), not by removing the steps.

Disassembling cabinetry seems totally overkill for this. I'm 5'11" and 235# and I even sometimes climb down into the stbd cockpit locker to work next to the engine when I am doing something with the water pump.

Just ensure that the battery cutoff switch is set to "off" or disconnect the batteries at the source. If you really need to, use an inspection mirror to view the terminals before wrenching on them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ajax For This Useful Post:
Easy Rider (09-16-2015)
  #6   IP: 66.30.144.72
Old 09-16-2015, 08:10 AM

Me too

That makes 5 us with P30's ! Gee, I wish there was a P30 user group out there...

Thankfully my solenoid is working though. I'd trade that project for the crappy green head gasket that I have been scrapping at for days.
  #7   IP: 107.0.6.242
Old 09-16-2015, 10:20 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionOne View Post
That makes 5 us with P30's ! Gee, I wish there was a P30 user group out there...

Thankfully my solenoid is working though. I'd trade that project for the crappy green head gasket that I have been scrapping at for days.
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42

Tags
solenoid