X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob N
    • Jul 2005

Choke clamp

It's that time of summer. My engine--which has been running fine otherwise--suddenly won't start. When I check the choke cable, it has slipped in the clamp on the carb linkage. Yes, it's a simple fix, but what an annoying job! Access to that area of the engine is very difficult on my Pearson 33.

What I wish for is a better clamp than the 2 pieces of metal with a nut/bolt through one end. There must be a better mechanism to hold and clamp the choke cable.
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

The only known fix for this problem, if you are unable shorten and/or relocate the cable, is a thorough oiling of the entire length of the cable jacket.

Comment

• keelcooler
      • Oct 2008

After I lubed up that rusted cable, inserted same in rigid plastic refrigerator water supply tubing. Had poured some MMO in tube. No more binding or stretching the outer pig tail wrapped cable housing.

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

keelcooler...great idea and it also eliminates the dissimilar metals rusting up on each other!
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Nov 2008

Choke Cable

I attached my choke cable to the boat about midway between the cockpit and carburetor using a nylon electrical cable type clamp. At the carburetor end I used a longer screw (than original), lock washers and some locktight on the nut. Seems to be doing fine after several years.

Hope this helps.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

Working...
          X